• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

If you had to choose 1 all purpose smoking wood what would it be?

Best all purpose wood

• Apple

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • Apricot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cherry

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • Hickory

Votes: 45 33.6%
  • Pecan

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Oak

Votes: 21 15.7%

• Total voters

NorthernMN

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a face cord of wood for the offset smoker and to get decent pricing on it I have to buy it by the face cord. I am wondering which wood to buy, I have been leaning to either hickory or cherry. I want to use this with all of my smoking birds, ribs, butts and brisket.

Here is the different woods they carry.
apple, apricot, cherry, hickory, oak, pecan

If I'm stuck to just that list it would be hickory. Otherwise I love mesquite and almond too.

I am looking at getting a face cord of wood for the offset smoker and to get decent pricing on it I have to buy it by the face cord. I am wondering which wood to buy, I have been leaning to either hickory or cherry. I want to use this with all of my smoking birds, ribs, butts and brisket.

Here is the different woods they carry.
apple, apricot, cherry, hickory, oak, pecan
Pecan to me is a milder and sweeter version of hickory. It makes great poultry, pork, beef and KILLER smoked bacon! I love oak and mesquite too but pecan is the one that I would want if I had to be stranded on an island with only one kind of tree.

My family prefers Hickory...So, I use Hickory for the most part...See what your audience likes, not us...They have to eat it...My .02

P.S. Hickory is not MY favorite...

Hickory if I was to choose just one. Oak and Cherry closely behind. But like MeatCandy said, choose what "you" enjoy.

Hickory is first choice - oak and pecan tied for second. I love 'em all. I like the flavor of apple, but the stuff I get tends to not burn as well as hickory and there's more ash flying around.

I checked Hickory but a wood that will go with absolutely everything is Maple. You just can't go wrong with it, i've smoke everything from cheese to fish to beef to chicken and turkey to vegetables with it. The most common wood around (red maple) is all over good.

I use lots of other woods but Maple would be a good choice if you could only choose one.

Other fine choices would be oak and pecan.

I'm a pecan fan, myself, but I'm going to get some cherry and try that soon. So many people talk about it, I want to check it out.

My vote, though is pecan, because that's what I know. And it's delicious.

I like all of the woods you posted, but only picking one, it's Oak. No doubt.

A wise man once said that all wood is good for smoking as long as it's cherry.

True dat.

I burn white and red oak in the fireplace and cut some into chunks each year for the smoker. Oak for brisket with some pecan and hickory for pork with a little peach. If only one to use though it would be hickory.

Back