Oakridge Saigon 21 Rub First Impressions

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
As many of you know, Mike from Oakridge BBQ offered the Brethren an opportunity to receive a free package of his new Saigon 21 Rub in exchange for our impressions and any suggestions on tweaks we might suggest. His original post is copied below.

I got mine yesterday and due to the crappy weather, decided to try it on pan-seared chicken breast. I am not really familiar with Vietnamese food or Pho, but I loved the intoxicating aroma as soon as I opened the package.

Followed the instructions Mike provided (apply light coat of oil on each side and a liberal coating of the rub, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate while heating up the grill or pan.)

It smelled great as we were searing the breasts, and developed a nice caramelized crust. My wife and I both loved the flavor but our palates are not sophisticated enough to really identify any particular spice or flavor. I would say that it is certainly not too hot or spicy and not salty or overly sweet. Just a nice rich flavor that I would call sophisticated for lack of a better term. We will definitely be trying in again on other proteins.

I think Saigon 21 would be great on grilled wings and probably ribs any many other meats as well.

Here are a few photos for your viewing pleasure:

The star of the show:
yNV9ul1l.jpg

A light coat of olive oil and liberal application of the rub:
Jj8hw6Tl.jpg

Smelled so good while searing:
sRZYHtDl.jpg

And the final product. Chicken breast on a bed of riced cauliflower:

zKkpDhul.jpg

Thanks Mike for providing the free sample and for all you do for the community and the BBQ Brethren. You sir are a class act!

OK BBQ Brethren Members -- I teased about it a couple weeks ago, and now's your chance to grab a FREE pre-production sample of our newest rub! This is ONLY being offered here on the BBQ Brethren and there is a limited supply. I only ask that you give them a try and then post about your experience, good or bad, to let me know what last minute tweaks (if any) I should make.

Saigon-21-Prototype-v5_01-683x1024.jpg

Oakridge BBQ Saigon 21 - Southeast Asian Grilling Spice

Ingredients: Sea Salt, Raw Cane Sugar, Granulated Garlic, Ginger, Onion, Toasted Coriander, Galangal, Porcini Mushrooms, Jalapeno Chile, Crystallized Lime Juice, Thai Basil, Black Cardamom, Star Anise, Vietnamese Cinnamon, Kaffir Lime Leaves, Other Spices

Limit One Per Customer

Cost: $0.00

Secret Product Link: https://www.oakridgebbq.com/product/oakridge-bbq-saigon-21-prototype/

Domestic US addresses only please, unless you would like to chip in for international shipping.

No purchase necessary.

Thanks!

Got mine today. Thinking I'll season up some chicken to make fried rice on the blackstone for my first use.

Mine is coming in tomorrow along with the usual restock. Gonna hit up some chicken thighs with it!!!

Great review, and thanks again Mike for your generosity. When mine gets here, I'm planning on some wings and who knows, maybe a pork roast of some kind.

Great review Bob. Mine came yesterday, quick finger taste test was quite unique, never tasted anything like it. Should be fun to experiment with. The local Mexi Mart has boneless pork rib bellies & boneless beef short ribs on sale, may grab one or both. Definitely gonna get the fixings to try the Pho recipe that Mike included.

First off, when you smell or taste from the bag it screams Pho which I like. I put some wings on the grill and the backyard smelled amazing. I have to say this rub by far has been the most fragrant rub I've probably cooked with. Even after eating the scent in the house was reminiscent of a pho eatery and I mean that in a pleasant way. My bros came over last night for the taste test and immediately one of them said "Vietnamese flavors" without knowing what I had done. General consensus was great but all agreed that it would be best incorporated into a dish. Mike already sent an insert with a recipe for Pho and that's the plan next and probably one more Southeast Asian style dish after that.

I don't think I'd want anything changed as the rub IMO is spot on but will be much better used in a dish. Thank you Mike for the opportunity to test your new creation. Like everything else you've put out it is top notch. I think you nailed the flavor profile you're aiming for.

On to the cook. So I mixed the rub with some avocado oil first then slathered it over the wings

DMCtiAvh.jpg

After a couple of hours they went on the top rack of my gasser at 375 for 45 mins

w3pCNEUh.jpg

QKY86BKh.jpg

In trying to replicate a Vietnamese or more pho flavors I garnished the wings with fresh mint and hoisin sauce on the side for dipping

e5zHDICh.jpg

UQIBXPbh.jpg

4uZEUElh.jpg

Lightly dipped in hoisin for the full pho effect

pXQv8Sqh.jpg

All in all excellent!!

I cooked some wings seasoned with it today, very good. My first impression when opening the bag and taking a whiff was like walking in the door to my favorite pho place. Great aroma. Lots going on when tasting it directly, including anise or black licorice, which I’m normally not a fan of but it works here and is well balanced after cooking. The directions included stated that one should not be afraid to apply a heavy coating, so I obliged.

I dried the wings on a plate in the fridge overnight, then hit both sides with some Duck Fat Spray before seasoning. 3 of the wings got Saigon 21 and 3 got Smokey Chile Lime then onto my 26” kettle with the vortex running around 450*. A chunk of pecan for smoke.

Impression: very good flavor, I like the Asian kick on the wings. I don’t really have any ready to go mixed Asian style seasonings so it definitely fills a void in the rub collection. While there’s plenty of flavor without it, I think some kind of sauce that compliments it might be fun. I’m definitely going to try using it in the included pho recipe, as well as on some other types of meat...a fatty piece of pork like belly would probably be great. If you like Vietnamese food I think you’ll definitely enjoy this seasoning. I don’t think it really needs any adjustment, it’s not too much or lacking in any area.

No photos, sorry.

Added to some boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I turned into chicken tenders for cooking in the air fryer. Hit 'em heavy with the Saigon 21, then dredged them in potato starch.

Family raved about the flavor and the "warm hug" from the spices. The anise (black licorice) really recedes during cooking, and the notes of lime leaves and basil jump to the surface.

I really get the feeling that meat (at least chicken) with this rub will make a killer supporting player in a dish, but it's not BIG and BOLD so that it grabs your attention as the main attraction.

First glance/try makes me look forward to coming back for more, Mike. Top notch, as all Oakridge products are...

Looks like chicken is the go to protein for Saigon 21. I went there as well, with skinless chicken thighs. Did a 2 hour brine in Game Changer to start - turned out to be a little bit salty in the end, but my bad, and very juicy.
EECA7593-C32E-4262-8C1F-63996622A4FB.jpeg
Gave the thighs a nice coat of rub, then back in to chill for a while.
Grilled, seared and plated with rice and marinated cucumber salad on the side.
8759BE40-DE4F-4BF2-8CDF-A56ABE80F22C.jpeg
C9BD41AD-66D1-47BB-BF37-78B0FEA21C3D.jpeg
As soon as the plate was on the table, my wife said she loved the aroma.
I was concerned that it might be too spicy (I’m a wuss), but the heat was very mild.
We both thought the rub was well balanced, and definitely reminded us of good Vietnamese cuisine. I don’t think I would change anything.

Another great Oakridge rub, and thanks to Mike for giving us a chance to try it out!

Oakridge Asian Glaze Recipe

Impression: very good flavor, I like the Asian kick on the wings. I don’t really have any ready to go mixed Asian style seasonings so it definitely fills a void in the rub collection. While there’s plenty of flavor without it, I think some kind of sauce that compliments it might be fun. I’m definitely going to try using it in the included pho recipe, as well as on some other types of meat...a fatty piece of pork like belly would probably be great. If you like Vietnamese food I think you’ll definitely enjoy this seasoning. I don’t think it really needs any adjustment, it’s not too much or lacking in any area.

Here you go Suds... I pulled this out of the Oakridge BBQ recipe archives and substituted the Secret Weapon in the original recipe for the new Saigon 21 prototype. You might also go 50/50 on SW and Saigon. I think that would be very good too...

MJT_8914sh.jpg

Original Recipe Link:
https://www.oakridgebbq.com/asian-wings-thai-fusion-pulled-pork-spring-rolls/

Oakridge BBQ Asian Glaze
  • 1 cup Sweet chili sauce
  • 1 heaping TBSP Hoisin sauce
  • 1 TBSP black soy sauce (you can substitute 1 TBSP reg. soy sauce plus 1 TBSP brown sugar)
  • 1 TBSP Oakridge BBQ Saigon 21 rub (or 1½ tsp Secret Weapon and 1½ tsp Saigon 21)
  • 1½ tsp fish sauce
  • 1 TBSP peeled, microplaned fresh ginger
  • 1 large clove garlic, peeled and microplaned
  • juice of one medium lime

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks!

Back