Thinking ahead

threesticks

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Have a 11.10lb Brisket ready to go, BUT a BOATLOAD of "stuff" (technical term) going on this weekend, hence the post.

Reference "Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook" (Pg. 220).
"Edgar Black Jr. suggests cranking up your smoker (maintains ~300) for 2-3 hrs. Then he adds a "good amount of fuel", closes the flues ,(to keep the fire at a slow smolder, and GOES TO BED.

In the morning, he restarts the fire (having removed the brisket) and smokes the Brisket for another 2-3 hours. It's done when the thermometer reads 185 degrees."

Has ANYONE done this? Would ANYONE do this?? Why am I SHOUTING?

Seriously. any thoughts, constructive comments, constructive idea are
appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Chuck (aka Threesticks)

Thats what my WSM is for :)

That thing can go for hours at a constant temp.

Threesticks, I might consider smoking in the usual fashion for as long as your schedule permits and just stick it in the oven. I believe it was Phil who said he had done this(the smoking) in the evening, put it in the oven over night and had brisket for breakfast. Sounds like a good case for a WSM. Been considering one of those or propane mod for just such occasions. Good luck, let us know what you try and how it turns out.

threesticks,

on my last cook with a 12 pounder, i was at big mofo's and after 13 hours just could not hang any long.

Not trusting brother mofo with my meat (pun intended), i took my meat and went home. the next morning i took it out of the fridge and finished it in the oven at 250 for 3 hours. Now i know this is not allowed, but I had no choice.

The result, excellent brisket. It really worked out well. plenty of smoke, and as tender and juicy as can be.

mook said:
threesticks,

on my last cook with a 12 pounder, i was at big mofo's and after 13 hours just could not hang any long.

Not trusting brother mofo with my meat (pun intended), i took my meat and went home. the next morning i took it out of the fridge and finished it in the oven at 250 for 3 hours. Now i know this is not allowed, but I had no choice.

The result, excellent brisket. It really worked out well. plenty of smoke, and as tender and juicy as can be.

You two need an Xbox

read my T Day thread.

Farking 72 hour smoking, eating, drinking, Xbox mod

The "plan" is to strt tomorrow night 1700/1800, smoke for 5-6 hrs., I know, i know, transfer to a warming unit (maybe an oven) foiled, then "get some sleep buddy, get some sleep". More to follow.
Thanks to all who sent the great suggestions. It is most appreciated.

In the meantime, "stay hard and keep jammin'!"

threesticks said:
The "plan" is to strt tomorrow night 1700/1800, smoke for 5-6 hrs., I know, i know, transfer to a warming unit (maybe an oven) foiled, then "get some sleep buddy, get some sleep". More to follow.
Thanks to all who sent the great suggestions. It is most appreciated.

In the meantime, "stay hard and keep jammin'!"

Metlica - Garage Music - Track 11!

Seriously 3sticks, dig up my Tday thread.

For alcohol reasons, we went 4 hours at 230 ish, then dropped it down to 70*.

Why? because we passed out for 3 hours.

Added half bag lump, heard it crinkling, added 2 -3 pounds hickory chunks, and went to be for 4 hours.

no idea what temps were.

Then, 215 for 10 hours.

Dont be afraid to go unattended, just be sure to have White Castles on hand

Back