Whole Hog on Lang 84D

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Serious Question,
I’m about to cook a 75lb hog on my Lang 84D. I was going to butterfly it and cook it on its back. Any advice from experience on time and temperature as well as how to position it inside the smoker would be greatly appreciated!
Also for those that wrap it at what point during the cook would you wrap it?

Thanks in Advance

I have done a few a variety of ways and ill detail what I like best

Butterfly with shoulder near hottest part of smoker
Cook at 275-300 and should be done under 10hrs
Inject and rub the crap out of meat hour before hand
Lay multiple overlapping foil strips down on grate and put hog on top. Roll the foil up until resting at side. When color looks good un roll foil and tent over the hog. If his sides lay too flat use a log to keep propped up maintain shape of a bowl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I inject the night before. If butterflied, I smoke at 225-250° skin side up until I get the color I like. I use my second shelf to sandwich the hog , and flip.

I've never cooked a whole hog but, always wanted to try a little one at least. Had been listening to some of Malcolm Reed's older podcasts and he mentioned something about laying bags of ice along the loins so they wouldn't cook as fast. This is during the actual cook

How long do you calculate per pound to finish?

For 75lb pig if wrapping part way through I would estimate 7 hours at 250-275

As other said keep eye on loins. You can use ice or lay cold bacon over to slow down cooking. Remove rib membrane and score ribs. Make for easy removal

A pump injector is big help. You can probably get a 1/2-1 gallon of injection into the hog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut a couple heads of cabbage in half and place under the loins
and belly area to block the heat and keep them from cooking too fast.
@ 225° figure 1 hr for every 10 lbs. But give yourself a couple hrs extra. I always let the hog rest about 45m to a hr. Cover in foil and blankets if it going to be cold outside for the rest period.

Back