Weber Kettle Thermometer Question

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
I've heard many times never to trust the stock thermometer built into the Weber Kettle lid. I can see why as I hooked up my maverick with sensor just below it. The lid read 350F and it was really 325F.

But my question is this. Does it fluctuate randomly per cook, or will pretty much every time 350F really equal 325F? Because there are many times I rather not go through the trouble of hooking up a maverick especially for short cooks.

I could just remember that it is off by 25F at that temp.

It will usually be the same but the fluctuation isn't always exactly 25 degrees off meaning it the pit were running at 250 on your Maverick it could be something higher or lower than 275 in the lid.

Also, some lid thermometers can be adjusted up or down so you could set it to match your Maverick and then you'd have an accurate temp just checking the lid. Not sure if the Weber has that setting on it.

My kettle dome thermometer is as expected, not the same temp as grate level BUT the relationship is not linear. The difference in temp can range from 15-35+ degrees. I haven’t done any serious study on it but I think it depends on how much air is flowing through. I use it as a guide to know if temps are on the way up or down when I don’t have a probe setup.

I personally don't use a probe in my kettles. My lid therms are just there as a reference. I could easily cook with out it if it weren't there at all.

I have a kettle and smokey mountain. The thermometers are frequently off by as much as 75 degrees. I haven't noticed any consistency.

I don't really use the thermometer on my performer, as I'm using just cooking something that I cook by feel.

But my WSM is sometimes high and sometimes low. I should really take a hammer to it as it causes me anxiety. I know I should trust my expensive gadgets more, but something about that damned dial looks official. :wacko:

Lid thermometers on kettles and WSMs are just there as rough gauges to let you know if the fire is dead or everything inside is on fire.

You could just assume the 25 degree offset, move on and be happy. It could be off by a few degrees either direction- but would there be enough difference to make a difference?

Thinking not.

In my experience, the lid therm on my 22 OTG kettle reads almost exactly 50 degrees higher than a probe on the grate directly below the exhaust in a banked indirect setup.

Knowing this, I don't even use probes except on longer cooks because of the consistency of these readings over the years.

Keep in mind that I have the older style OTG, where the thermometer was placed 45° off from the exhaust vent, placing it in the middle between my hot and cool zones.

The newer Webers place the therm directly opposite the exhaust vent, which would put the thermometer directly over the hot spot in a banked indirect or slow n sear setup, which is an exceedingly poor design choice in my opinion. Showing that Weber doesn't really understand how the majority of us use their equipment🙄

Agree with the others. My OTG & WSM dome t'stats mostly let me know if the temp is rising or falling. Depends on several factors, OAT, wind, Sun angle etc. If it's just burgers, dogs or steaks go by feel and IT. You will learn it. Pork Butts & Brisket an accurate t'stat can help both IT and grill temp.

Signed retired temp guy. Good Luck!

The newer Webers place the therm directly opposite the exhaust vent, which would put the thermometer directly over the hot spot in a banked indirect or slow n sear setup, which is an exceedingly poor design choice in my opinion. Showing that Weber doesn't really understand how the majority of us use their equipment🙄

Exactly why I place the lid therm over the meat and the vents over the coals. Smoke and heat do make it to the indirect side and I have a better idea of what's happening. Still I don't get hung up on precise accurate temp readings. Just cook. That's what I say.

Back