To All The Lurkers, Newbies, and Inexperienced Cooks - Long

I joined back in 2012 and did a fair amount of posting/bantering... then kind of drifted to another forum for a few years. Returned a couple of years ago and now ask myself... “what the heck was I thinking?” This place is the BEST bbq forum on the net, period... and $25/year is a steal considering the return on investment! :)

Its threads like this that make the work all worth it.. at times this place can become a handful and take the mod team and myself away from family and/or cause some heartburn.. but when we hear that we are making it work and the members are benefiting, learning, experimenting, mentoring, and most importantly, becoming friends and family, it makes it all worth it. your subscription purchases by all accounts are what keeps us up and running. We are not a small forum. We run on 2 large servers with high pipelines and a third server on standby in case of failure. Without your help, we wouldnt be sustainable..

Thank you all, from Me and Ron and Boob and everyone else around us..

Magnificent and a very enlightening Forum
Great post Joel

Cmon. Somebody tell us they subscribed because of the plea in this thread. Did we grow at all?

Cmon. Somebody tell us they subscribed because of the plea in this thread. Did we grow at all?

I had donated about a week ago, then saw this thread and realized there was a difference between a donation and a subscrtiption. So yes, the plea in this thread resulted in a subscription. Money well spent, I get a lot from this forum.

-Dom

I had donated about a week ago, then saw this thread and realized there was a difference between a donation and a subscrtiption. So yes, the plea in this thread resulted in a subscription. Money well spent, I get a lot from this forum.

-Dom

Thanks Dom. Much appreciated. Now I feel validated.

Like everyone else has said, the $25 is money well spent. I’ve cooked more good meals than I can count because of this site. I saw you mention a bbq brethren discount to Oakridge BBQ. Is there a coupon code for members? Easily my most used rubs and yet another thing I leaned about on this site.

Yup, we still offer the BBQ Brethren discount. This place is the BEST place on the entire internet to learn and discuss barbecue. It's WELL worth the $25 subscription, and we are HAPPY to offer the discount to BBQ Brethren subscribers!!

Back in 2013 we did have one dealer who complained about our BBQ Brethren discount and I did suspend it for a while. But, that retailer is no longer an Oakridge BBQ dealer and I reinstated the BBQ Brethren discount shortly thereafter (over 4 years ago). So, please feel free to use the discount code if you are a paid supporter of the BBQ Brethren!

Coupon code = brethren10

Great post, by the way, Joel!

:thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
I can't count the number of tips and good advice I've got from here. Useful, friendly and supportive advice. All the comments in this thread are spot-on. Thanks Phil and Joel.

Yup, we still offer the BBQ Brethren discount. This place is the BEST place on the entire internet to learn and discuss barbecue. It's WELL worth the $25 subscription, and we are HAPPY to offer the discount to BBQ Brethren subscribers!!

Back in 2013 we did have one dealer who complained about our BBQ Brethren discount and I did suspend it for a while. But, that retailer is no longer an Oakridge BBQ dealer and I reinstated the BBQ Brethren discount shortly thereafter (over 4 years ago). So, please feel free to use the discount code if you are a paid supporter of the BBQ Brethren!

Coupon code = brethren10

Great post, by the way, Joel!

**COUPON CODE UPDATE** Please read post linked below for updated coupon code info.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296751

Thanks!

Today I added the 6th cooker to my arsenal. I posted and joked about it, a few hundred people viewed it, and a bunch commented.

As I looked at my post it occurred to me that to a newbie...to a lurker...I might look like a pro. It might be intimidating. I’m a Babbling Farker with over 3 thousand posts and tons of pictures of food and a complex sounding wood burning smoker...and a rotisserie (haven’t used one ever before, but now I own one), and 6 cookers.

But here’s the thing. I’m a rookie too. A lurker. Who got curious and tried a pellet smoker from Costco on a whim. And I liked the result and the process. And I started researching different ways to improve. And I found this place. These Farkers.

Oh I didn’t post at first, but when I got my Pit Barrel Cooker (after reading 125 pages of the PBC thread) I posted my first post. And since then this place has drawn me in. These people are my friends and extended family. I’ve even met a few face to face. And the rest is history.

So today is kinda a big day. This forum had a Birthday.

Phil/BBQchef33 founded this site out of his love for BBQ and the importance of maintaining an open forum for learning and teaching. He and the other founders also wanted a place the brotherhood and sisterhood could joke, and laugh and share in the good times and get support from friends in the rough times.

There are a lot of costs to run a site like this. Hosting and storage and bandwidth costs are into the thousands every month. Believe it or not this is not a full time job for Phil...he does it in his spare time.

If you are not currently a subscriber, please consider it. $25 a year is the minimum donation to help keep this place running.

Now you might say....but $25.... that's a lot. But I bet you've saved more than $25 on the information you've learned here. I know I have on KBB sales at Lowes alone. Not to mention the countless hundreds of dollars I've saved on things like Prime Day, Restaurant Depot membership fees, Brethren discounts to Oakridge for rubs or on Inkbird thermometers.

On top of all that there are other benefits. You get a cool beer icon and a star by your name. You get to choose an avatar. You get a larger signature line, you can upload attachments, do advanced searches, do multi member private messages, and access the private member areas where you can read in detail about the Inception of the Brethren and how this site was founded...all because of a typo/autocorrect.

Enough of my soapbox. Please consider a subscription and help keep this place running smoothly.

Great post and I absolutely love the culture of this site. I’m a rookie too and have learned a ton from others here. I don’t do it as much now that my kids are gone and the grandchildren aren’t old enough but I was also into photography. Dpreview.com is one of the larger sites on that topic. Great information as well. Absolutely horrible culture that made it painful to get to that information. Another poster described it (with a digital photography pun) as having a “high signal to noise ratio”. The folks here are completely different and are supportive regardless of where anyone in in their BBQ journey.

Now, I will take exception to the comment about how I’ve “saved” much more than the $25 subscription fee. The information has been incredibly valuable and I have actually found some great deals based on people posting “brickseek” links. Having said that though, I’m not sure I’d say I’ve saved money on the three 22” kettles, that led to buying the 26”, the vortex, the S&S, the blackstone griddle…. Oh, and then there is the “gen blue” 26” still sitting in a box in the garage…..Oh yeah, then there is the MAK 1 star that I bought for my son when he bought his house….. :grin:

Joel, I applaud your post and the way you bring a truth to what this fantastic site is. Brethren and Sisteren in the Art of The Que!!
I lurked, and learned, and finally subscribed because of the Real Value of this site. I have made some great Friends here, who I will always consider Family, and keep as such Always! And, I consider that to be more than worth the cost of a subscription.

Thank You, and I hope those Newbies and Lurkers will appreciate this site as much as the "Old Times" do and keep supporting it!
And Yes, Phil does an Outstanding job of keeping this going!

Last edited:
I started reading this forum and watching YouTube videos about 3 years ago when I was sidelined after back surgery. Had never smoked anything. As soon as I was mobile again I bought a used 22" WSM for $150 and started the journey. Took the plunge and ordered a Workhorse last year that arrived in December. I visit here daily to learn and laugh. I still suck at smoking, but thanks to all you other addicts (a.k.a. Pharkers) I now suck on an expensive smoker. This is an awesome site that I am happy to support.

Last edited:
Back