Time for an upgrade.

JbTech

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Jeff
4 years ago I bought a Camp Chef 2 burner with grill and griddle. Always had trouble with wind, tried to keep it clean etc.

This past fall one burner wouldn't operate or ignite. :sad:

I've been looking for a better way to do things. The ugly drum I built 10 years ago is still kicking, but not quick, easy, or suitable for the wifes' tastes.

Enter the darkness.
Pellet.

4g3qYiAN-f6YarFUblhC4c2-2_RzFx-q7SE6APbA82EgKzpr5toigmZoqO0tQ47t4Q5SRouTfcniZFB8Ggp8NvZDytLvfugQkEWZOrQHj6EQIKdwYZZu5gjt3eZxMt7z1wh1OA4i-Tjs6vgUrqhuu96vFDy2wEfQsxKq9zxpr-Uz5856P6suAg6xgtBS_epl5k_NJeyNAP0WR5CXxwH29fuYBxHH4b4w9x2E4-ZE4KAkWQuVC-qEqoMFabmilsR5x5IhYzfU8jLidKGSlK8qe4ibD0_tMzzmFp5q-TOQtRcGrh5BjGDM47xdPHwTwwCK9vkgzjLHvHnzdT0E4vIQ6T4ysopBEeyFax_TSXVx1nYQRaC-iSphy06caKlh1TFD9mk4tcgaFPjQ9-APczmv3GtnXKo0Ot9Z734_D1hENUtbEBRVubFN3r0qwbs9YACH8yGJi8a-19nohRjNRsdp8wzYqkeAbpQBzAezhRg_YNJWOUogdf2EGmY1WZ5ButOB4pSrsL_ptd92l1D6BLBPdx4-ZtBxRfZXwdliW9UxdH1s2uDXAYjgWoxoRK00JvngWNLlN6lUQ3tHEUNx7sXgK8Ju5d2nPdhtc5tUT_ksAwHn-olmJyAD9JBwduRSoeDyfOWqxAfC-k7ULRocMAIke_uoaHEqsE3-t6mnwc1U4OHjA3qZ_60v07QbLH0tESNLlDzo4qa8EyUCN4VQb9BRQegoD7ZeuiIATNexzg5TCALdPTC1jn0TsOM_sgncDbbb3w6tr9GI5dC6-yvMuU9xndgook3Zcd0FEu6jX_kR2LT4hIwIhiYfl_5nw16RD8iNQI4yaKJdSkhtMqN5GXKHFz6tZm2sOjZF_q9naG5CCScjfqKiYwb-y6IB4rTRXFYJQPA57EiJWsTHogNpG6jCtfKQGJBcL5pUWCGh5kcfDyzB53g5rQ=w634-h845-no

Now...How do I keep this thing clean?

I've heard sweeping out the chamber. What about the large steel pieces under the grates?

Looking for advice on the tips and tricks. I know there are several Austin XLs here on the Brethren!

Shop vac and putty knife. Don't hit the igniter rod in the firepot. Use foil or an aftermarket mod to block heat from blowing back directly onto the Internal temp sensor. Follow manual for start up and cool down. Make sure flame guard is installed correctly so it drains properly. There are two ears that match slots that it sits on this way it drains correctly.. biscuit test. Set on 275 place biscuits across the grate and learn your hot and less hot locations. Always start with lid open until the jet engine roars and clears start up smoke. Rain cap all the way up on exhaust. You regulate temp with the dial, not exhaust. Keep your pellets dry. Read your manual a couple times, watch YouTube videos, there are Facebook sites dedicated to the Pit Boss brands. You can learn a lot from others mistakes.

#1 Read manual- more than once
#2 watch Austin XL specific YouTube videos
#3 monitor Pit Boss specific social media platforms
#4 accept pellet cooking for what it is. A dang convenient I'd say clean way to smoke/grill/bake good food

YouTube link to mod Austin XL.
https://youtu.be/kr0VWfl6X94

Last edited:
#4 accept pellet cooking for what it is. A dang convenient I'd say clean way to smoke/grill/bake good food

Thanks Adams!

I think I've got this point covered. Lighter smoke profile. Easier to complete a cook even on a week day.
Now to figure out how to avoid some of the common issues.

Thanks for the input!

Trust me, This workhorse has been around a few years and meets or exceeds expectations. I learned a lot by watching others mistakes. I paid 249 two years ago this June. I watched all closeout season for them to reach that low again. 387-487$
Was about as low as I saw. Kind of kick myself for not getting 2@500.
Pitboss often runs sales on their pellets. I've not had any problem with any brand so that's totally your call. I have multiple brands on hand. It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the middle to upper end pellet cookers. I'm ok with that. Hopper-Auger-Burn Pot have always worked, if not there is the warranty. 5 years I believe

Last edited:
There are quite a few dedicated Pit Boss Facebook groups. You can learn and be entertained. I don't post much at all but enjoy reading the customer service, build quality, pilot error stories and comments.

It's not near as good as this site for knowledge of cooking and life, but more about the actual Pit Boss brand itself.

Last edited:
The mod for internal probe protection. Fill the gap with aluminum foil strip. Just cleaned mine took maybe 10 minutes. Picture of my start up. Lid open, begins a lot of smoke in about 3 minutes, a fan comes on and clears the smoke out. I then shut lid. I believe keeping them clean and following manual plus tip and trucks from owners is more important than wood type and brand of pellets. Others will disagree.

If you do a biscuit test have some butter and honey or bologna ready. Enjoy your new cooker and the learning curve that comes with pellet cooking

Last edited:
I use a piece of foil to gently clean the internal probe and lid thermometer stem.

I have had my Austin about 6 years now, just pulled 2 briskets off and put in pans foiled top and into the oven. I have had 0 problems with mine, runs very consistent, 15-20 degree both ways, a lot of times I look it's dead on . they were clearing some off recent for $250 , I don't block things up as I did/nt engineer it lol. Bought my son the #5 vertical several years ago and it runs well also, I add a tube with shag hickory and pellets in it for more smoke flavor.

Shelf. Some folks get magnetic hangers and hang the removable top shelf. I just set mine to side. However, I use the top shelf a lot. As well make sure your meats are positioned within the drip lines so grease flows into bucket not into bottom of barrel. That's only an issue if you decide to load it up with multiple meats. However if in a cook someone appointments themselves an assistant cook, they may miss the drip zone

Last edited:
I have had my Austin about 6 years now, just pulled 2 briskets off and put in pans foiled top and into the oven. I have had 0 problems with mine, runs very consistent, 15-20 degree both ways, a lot of times I look it's dead on . they were clearing some off recent for $250 , I don't block things up as I did/nt engineer it lol. Bought my son the #5 vertical several years ago and it runs well also, I add a tube with shag hickory and pellets in it for more smoke flavor.

If I could've found another $250 deal I'd have one in her She-Shed

The combination of being able to smoke and grill on one toy/tool was a big benefit to me.
Good points about the drip line and internal temp probe.

Learning curve is part of the fun in it, right?

Picanha waiting in the wings for its debut. We shall see how squirrely i feel later.

Also see the sear plate area where it's not seasoned? Hottest point of cooker. Keep it seasoned regularly. Occasionally hit it with oil, I use cheap spray oil from Sam's, or Pam. Darkens back up

I'll hush now, you got this ;--))

I appreciate your input.

Although insignificant to some, this is the most I've spent on a cooker with so many whiz bang doo dads on it.

If I were smarter, I might even be a touch intimidated! Phew! Dodged that bullet! :bow:

As for the internal probes Ive never used them, not even sure where they are.
Zero experience. I usually don't temp anything until it looks right in the 4th quarter of a cook. Then a Thermoworks, Inkbird etc

Back