THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BeardedBassGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Had a pretty big cook yesterday, and everything was mostly successful despite getting some VERY green wood delivered when I was promised seasoned.

The cook was prep and practice for Christmas dinner that I'm taking to my family. I did a brisket to go with leftovers from brisket last week to make chili. Also making the cook were my first ever Pork Belly burnt ends as practice for Christmas dinner as well, and for the "as seen on YouTube" throw down. And the last thing to make the list was some chicken thighs I had sitting in the freezer for a while that needed to be cooked.

I was cooking everything hot and fast over Western Mesquite mini logs. Coals were started with b & b lump. Temps averaged 275 most of the cook but I had some swings from 225-325.

Brisket was a Costco prime ($2.69 lb This week) aggressively trimmed and the point separated from the flat. Point was for snacks after the cook, the flat going with the leftovers from last week into the chili I make next weekend. Seasoned the same as last week : Sucklebusters 1836 rub and worscestershire sauce as a wettener. Ive never done hot and fast brisket before. I also never separate a whole packer as a rule. And I didn't wrap, which was a first as well.

Pork Belly came from Costco too. Cubed up, rubbed with Sucklebusters Hog Waller, and cooked for 2 hours to the right color. Put in a pan with butter, brown sugar, and honey. Covered and back on for 90 minutes. Liquid drained, then lightly sauced with a great local sauce I found at HEB. (It's called Four Escobar's. I highly recommend it for anyone near an HEB. They have a Facebook page that makes mail orders too but it's almost twice as expensive that way.) Covered again, and sauce caramelized for about 15 minutes.

Chicken thighs were a big pack from, you guessed it, Costco. Rubbed with some Piggly Wiggly rub I got in the trade that's going on right now. I then glazed/ sauced with Sticky Fingers Memphis original sauce. Mainly because I had it in the fridge.

Overall it was a decent cook. The flavor of the brisket was spot on, but it's obvious that hot and fast doesn't render the fat nearly as much as low and slow. That's totally ok because it will render down in the chili, so I'm not mad. For those wondering, I pulled at 210/211 after about 6 hours. Probe tender. But it wasn't near as tender or juicy as low and slow.

The pork belly burnt ends were amazing and I was very happy with them.

The chicken was kind of a flop. The meat tasted great, but the skin was rubbery (I was going to torch them but got distracted) and the sauce was a BAD choice. My friend called it "candied chicken" . Much too sweet and the wrong flavor profile for a sauce glaze. We are going to de-bone the chicken and remove the skin and then use the leftovers for different dinners.

HM5j2PXl.jpg

h4gSxTxl.jpg

YDnp9unl.jpg

3F0fPtal.jpg

jHy9uMxl.jpg

CHNP6Orl.jpg

A9rv6pIl.jpg

9wi4FCDl.jpg

vTxtekRl.jpg

i7mFT6ll.jpg

3HZpLABl.jpg

eQaqNQml.jpg

Nice cook, but gonna have to disagree with your assessment that hot and fast doesn't render fat as well as low and slow. :thumb:

If the fat isn't rendered how you wish, then you pulled it too soon.

Nice cook, but gonna have to disagree with your assessment that hot and fast doesn't render fat as well as low and slow. :thumb:

If the fat isn't rendered how you wish, then you pulled it too soon.

I know other people have had great success with hot and fast. It was just a noticable difference for me. I pulled it at 210/211 and it was probe tender and very jiggly. As mentioned though, it worked out great because of what I'm using it for. If I'm having brisket for brisket sake, I'll probably stick with low and slow though. I may try hot and fast again though because I like trying new things.

Food looked amazing, mine might taste great but it does not look nearly as pretty as your cook for sure! I need to pay more attention to the more experienced members for sure!
Thank you!

Food looked amazing, mine might taste great but it does not look nearly as pretty as your cook for sure! I need to pay more attention to the more experienced members for sure!
Thank you!

Mate, I'm not that experienced! You can do it, too! Also I'm going with it's my new phone (pixel 2) that takes great pics.

Nice looking endz! I've tried pre-slicing them like Malcolm Reed did on his video but I found smoking a whole pack of pork belly, slicing them, and then putting them back on the smoker keeps it more tender. I guess like real burnt ends.

I know other people have had great success with hot and fast. It was just a noticable difference for me. I pulled it at 210/211 and it was probe tender and very jiggly. As mentioned though, it worked out great because of what I'm using it for. If I'm having brisket for brisket sake, I'll probably stick with low and slow though. I may try hot and fast again though because I like trying new things.

Fair enough, but I would give it another shot or two :thumb:

If you're feeding sticks, there's no sense drawing it out longer than necessary IMO. :clap2:

That Four Escobars is good stuff. What part of the brisket had unrendered fat? I've had prime points with so much fat that it had to be cooked a little longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That Four Escobars is good stuff. What part of the brisket had unrendered fat? I've had prime points with so much fat that it had to be cooked a little longer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The flat and point. Even though the temp and texture felt right on the pit, when I sliced (3 hour rest in a cooler after a short vent) it was decidedly not rendered enough. It was more undercooked than the one I did last week. Still very edible and tasty but needed more time or a different style of cook. As I said, I'm not upset since it's going in chili, was just my observation on my first time doing hot and fast as low and slow. I liked the 6 hour cook time though.

Back