THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Squeeze Parkay. May be more controversial than beans in---naw not going there. Yesterday during the afternoon blast furnace heat. I streamed an episode of Michael Simon's BBQ show. And there it was, Squeeze Parkay being squirted on to competition ribs. So naturally I Googled. Looks like the trans fats were removed 7-8 years ago??. When I read the ingredients label it reminded me of nearly every ingredients label on mayonnaise bottles. Soybean soil is prominent. If you're Vegen it has whey, so not vegan.
I am not vegan, so that's not an issue. My Bride is supposed to avoid soybean oil due to a scrip, and that's my reasoning for not buying very often. Seldom

Just saying, if you've avoided Parkay for an ingredient or two you might check the label. Way back when Mom thought Parkay made better cookies and baked goods. So we had Parkay for cooking and butter for spreading on toast, cornbread etc.

I think Parkay and SPAM catch a bad rap at times.
I love SPAM.
May buy some Parkay next trip to grocery store.
Wish they made 3oz bottles

Last edited:
To me parkay cooks better than butter on a grill or smoker. Family must like it too because everytime I need some. I have to go buy more.

Gross.

I tried real butter in the foil for spares once and didn't like it.

Good pork shouldn't need any extra fat. Aren't most of our cooking processes designed to render out some excess fat? If I thought I needed more fat on my ribs I would just render some trim and throw it back in there.

Margarine sounds nasty to me.

My teeth ache at the thought of Parkay, honey, and brown sugar at a comp rib wrap.

If cotton candy ribs is what it takes to win comps, then comps do not truly represent the BBQ experience or, my taste in Q.

This just in - “competition barbecue” is not “eating barbecue” and probably no one that cooks competition bbq would cook exactly that way in their backyard.

My theory is that real butter browns or scorches at a lower temp than margarine and that’s why it’s used.

I still remember hearing when I was a kid that butter was bad for you, margarine was “healthy”, and definitely don’t eat egg yolks. Yet here we are :crazy: lard, tallow, and butter for me.

My Mom cooked with Bluebonnet Oleo Margarine, we ate mostly butter, but at times we ate Bluebonnet too. I just remember having both.
As I've said before, we didn't smoke foods growing up. So making pretty ribs wasn't even on the menu. We ate a lot of pork- Ham's cooked lots of ways.Fried, Grilled, Boiled, Broiled and a medieval looking pressure cooker us kids were all scared of.

This just in - “competition barbecue” is not “eating barbecue” and probably no one that cooks competition bbq would cook exactly that way in their backyard.

My theory is that real butter browns or scorches at a lower temp than margarine and that’s why it’s used.

I still remember hearing when I was a kid that butter was bad for you, margarine was “healthy”, and definitely don’t eat egg yolks. Yet here we are :crazy: lard, tallow, and butter for me.

I stand corrected, Suds. :-D

Back