THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EricD

is Blowin Smoke!
I've been tasked with cooking a 6lb beef tenderloin this Christmas.
I plan to sous vide then sear on the grill.
My question is how long do I "soak" it for?
I've found everything from 2 to 5 hrs. but most recipes either don't specify weight, or are for 3 lb roasts.
It's a 6 lb roast, already trimmed and tied from butcher, 3.5 inch thick.
Im not concerned about temp, just don't want to soak for too long and get mushy.
TIA

From what I've read, bathe it for a minimum of about 1 hour per inch of thickness. That's the time it will take it reach your desired temp all the way through. So, for your's, about 3.5 hours minimum.

I would probably go 90 minutes. I would rather finish more on the grill then be mushy from the water bath.

Personally I would never Sous Vide a tenderloin. I would cook it on the grill instead. Tenderloin texture just doesn't lend itself well to Sous Vide for me.

I've never cooked a whole tenderloin SV, but it is how I prefer to cook tenderloin steaks. They don't stay in the bath long enough to change the texture, it just gets them to the preferred temp.

What he said. You do not need to tenderize a tenderloin, break down any connective tissue, etc, just get it to temperature.

I'm kind of wondering how a 3.5 inch thick beef tenderloin is going to be completely done to temp in 90 mins, when it takes me about 1 1/4 hours to get a 1.5 inch NY Strip to temp at 129. His cut is more than twice the thickness. I'd have to think that it will take more than an additional 15 minutes than my Strips do.

You're not going to change the texture, in my opinion, in just a few hours. I would not worry about it, soak it for 3-4 hours, then sear it as hot as you can get it. Be sure that grill can get screaming hot, or have a torch with you as backup. There is no need to sous vide if you can't sear it properly in the end.

Back