is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Two items on this morning's agenda:

Pick Basil
Feed Sourdough Starter

I had an Angel Hair with Pesto and Grilled Shrimp idea in mind for dinner this evening, but a variation came into play after a Google newsfeed article popped up.

First, the Pesto. Ingredients: Basil, Garlic, Pine Nuts prior to toasting, Parmesan, Lemon, S&P and of course, EVOO -

JqX86CX.jpg

Voila! We have Pesto. I'll add additional EVOO later to thin it out -

pjDV3iP.jpg

Back to the Google Newsfeed article which was all about making Sourdough Pasta. OK, you've got my attention. Despite my Italian heritage, I've only attempted to make pasta once in my life, turned out to be an epic fail. We tried making Butternut Squash raviolis, the dough was way too thick and the ravs never cooked in the boiling water. A box of pasta to the rescue that day.

But this looks doable. 100 g of starter, 150 g of flour (00 can be used), pinch of Kosher salt, one egg. The recipe shows a Gnocchi shape, but I don't have the special Gnocchi forming board (a fluted board which I had thoughts of turning out in my woodshop but naaah). So we'll try Fettucine instead.

The dough, after about 8-10 minutes of kneading -

u8pxNfZ.jpg

Let it rest for an hour or so. Divide into 4 pieces, roll them out on the granite as thin as possible, starting from a somewhat cylindrical shape -

fb6ritq.jpg

GrX4SFT.jpg

Cut into long strips -

mNmaq5O.jpg

and pile them into little nests after they've dried a bit. This recipe only makes a small batch, perfect for dinner for two -

ZIsyPXO.jpg

To go with the pasta, we'll need some grilled Shrimp, so the Goldens' gets called into use. I'm using Blackstone Tequila Lime today -

CCLBTQt.jpg

SNvtL6V.jpg

The fresh pasta only takes three to four minutes to cook in salted boiling water, so things are coming together quickly. Time to assemble it all. Pasta, Pesto, Shrimp. Couldn't be much easier.

Dinner is ready -

EjYZiDn.jpg

My plate -

XxPal7z.jpg

FcT4WWO.jpg

hR8CuUc.jpg

OK, did I succeed this time at making pasta? Yes! This was outstanding. I would definitely make homemade pasta again, even without a pasta maker. Could I tell that it was sourdough? Not really, but I was using sourdough discard and not a ripe starter so it didn't have that sourdough tang. Kinda hard to discern anyway when pesto is featured in the dish.

Anyway, there you have it. Dom's successful attempt at making pasta which turned into a fantastic dinner.

As always, thanks for following along and reading through to the end of this post on yet another culinary adventure in my kitchen and backyard!

Regards,
-lunchman

I truly think that you could give Rick Bayless a run for his money on YouTube !!!!
I enjoy your step by step explanations and pics during the whole process
Again,,,Outstanding !

Pasta making is such a joy in my life! The pasta machine is pretty inexpensive and makes the process of quality untouchable. Roll it out cut into fettechine, angel hair, and sheets for ravioli. Then there's a trip to Spaetzle ville little pillows of batter scrubbed over a grater into boiling water, then cooled and cooked in brown butter and covered in a lush brown gravy.
Oh no, I just got fat.....
Ed

Pasta making is such a joy in my life! The pasta machine is pretty inexpensive and makes the process of quality untouchable. Roll it out cut into fettechine, angel hair, and sheets for ravioli. Then there's a trip to Spaetzle ville little pillows of batter scrubbed over a grater into boiling water, then cooled and cooked in brown butter and covered in a lush brown gravy.
Oh no, I just got fat.....
Ed

Thanks, Ed. I've thought about either a standalone pasta maker or an attachment for my Kitchen Aid but my wife doesn't want me making pasta all the time. It's bad enough with the bread.... :wink:

Thanks, Ed. I've thought about either a standalone pasta maker or an attachment for my Kitchen Aid but my wife doesn't want me making pasta all the time. It's bad enough with the bread.... :wink:

After many years of being a hand crank pasta maker I finally got the KA attachment. Soooooo, Muuuuuuch Eaaaaaasier. Highly recommend.

Your pesto dish is inspiring.

Nice dish
I love pesto and just in case there are no pine nuts available walnuts work just as well.

Thanks. I've had to substitute every so often. Pine nuts are incredibly expensive. I picked up an 8 oz bag at my local market for $10. Prices have been as high as $15 which won't get a sale from me.

Back