Size matters

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
My little polished granite marble mortar pestal is great at spices, really small guac and a cute dip holster. Been wanting a volcanic basalt and bigger. Some say the volcano is Idionesia, some say Mexico. Others say all Mexican molcajete have a pig. It has all the imperfections to distinguish from concrete. World Market and picked up for $20. Some really positive reviews, some negative. I'll take chance for $20. First two seasons and kosher salt grind. Rinsed well and arm is tired. My plan is to do six to eight seasonings then a garlic kosher salt finish.

Last edited:
Sambals
Chutneys
Curry Paste

Mine is massive. Made from Marble. So big it does not get a lot of use. This is a good size.

I have a similar one and it works great. I admittedly use my coffee grinder more but I really like to buy whole seeds (vs ground) of cumin, coriander, allspice. Happened by accident when I had whole something and needed ground, but it seems fresher.

Finally getting mostly clear rinse and interior beginning smoothing nicely. Think this was number four. Used dry pintos instead of rice this grind as them little rices were flying. Probably alternate. It's a workout. But guessing that's better than lava rock grit in the teeth

I have a small marble one that resides in my brew room for crushing Campden tablets and yeast nutrients. Most of my kitchen needs can be handled by squishing between 2 spoons. If I need more than that the pulse grinder will pulverize practically anything.

Seasoning continues, lava rock takes a while. Watched some YouTube videos on how these are made. Ancient art. Watched several on season/cure and had I seen the comments in one particular video I'd have followed his lead. Comment was take the new molcajete to a car wash and power wash the bejesus out of it. Then follow normal grinding recommendations. Said he's clean after three grinds reay to go . Yesterday I finished my 8th season using rice)bean kosher salt and oil. Overnight I ground garlic and KS into a paste, rubbed and ground and letting sit overnight. I'm going to do it again overnight tonight and call it good. Pretty entertaining for $20

Last edited:
Back