Shout out from North Alabama

gfh

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Gaylon
Hi All! - I've been lurking around for a few weeks, and decided to join in the fun. The info and knowledge on this site is impressive - this seems to be my landing point for a lot of google searches on BBQ and smokers.

I'm located here in scenic North Alabama, and we've got some pretty good BBQ around here - Big Bob Gibson's is the most well known, but there's several little gems around like Scruggs and Smoky C's. Heck, the local Pink Pig food truck has outstanding BBQ. What more can you ask for?

My smoking journey started many years ago with a cheap offset grill that I tried to smoke a brisket on for my first ever smoke. Not much prep, didn't look for wood until I started, and just guessed at cook time - and yes, it turned out as badly as you'd expect. Never tried to smoke anything on that grill again, and didn't try a brisket again until last year. My current rig is a wide body propane smoker that seemed like the greatest thing since sliced bread when I got it 4 or 5 years ago, and it does okay, but the itch to upgrade to Something Better is strong now.

Research is ongoing - my latest got-to-have-it smoker has changed from a Shirley offset (decided a stick burner is too much trouble with the constant feeding and tending), to an Old Country Gravity feed smoker (build quality issues, don't want to feed splits constantly to get good smoke, bridging, etc.), to a KBQ C-60 (cool looking and shiny tech, but ultimately looks like more trouble and effort than a conventional stick burner), to a Humphreys cabinet (reverse flow!! Shiny! Oh, wait, its got issues too), and finally to the latest Belle of the Ball, an LSG Mini, or maybe the Large. The LSG may not be what ends up landing here, but all things equal it looks the best fit for me and is impressively built.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone on here for sharing their knowledge and experience. It's made for several interesting reads, including the LSG IVC smoker thread. I look forward to many interesting discussions, and if I'm not careful I might even learn something.

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome!
Anywhere near Muscle Shoals?
We are heading there in a couple weeks.

Welcome to the brethren and good luck narrowing it down to one cooker. Everything has it up and down sides, you just have to find your sweet spot.

Welcome!
Anywhere near Muscle Shoals?
We are heading there in a couple weeks.

We're about 60-70 min away from the Shoals. We don't hang out in the Shoals area much so I can't recommend any must-visit places. If you have kids/grandkids or it's your thing, the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville is about an hour and a half east. Big Bob Gibsons is in Decatur about an hour+ away. Lots of stuff to see and do in the Huntsville area, but way too crowded now for my tastes.

Back