Should I buy Pork Butt while it's still relatively cheap?

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Sam's club had case of pork butt for $1.19 /lb for a couple months, now it's up to $1.52 /lb. I just read a Bloomberg article that ebola in china is killing off the pigs and that Easter ham's were 4 times more expensive.. this true?

Wondering if I should buy 1 or two cases of pork butt tomorrow if it's still $1.52/lb.

What do you think?

Butts were On Sale at Krogers for $1.29 Last Week, Brisket on Sale $1.47/lb this Week. I Buy when on Sale and freeze but only 2-4 of each at a Time.............

I heard something about the Ebola affecting pigs in China, so that part is correct. Whether or not it actually affects the supply and price here is uncertain, but I don't have any doubt that there are some that will take advantage of the situation and increase the price just to make a little extra.

Imho no. Something is always on sale- Ribs-butts-loins-tips-chops. I don’t know how many you cook for, but it’s 99% just the wife and myself. Easy to adjust to the market without stocking the freezers full. If I was going to stock a Pork product due to an anticipated pork crisis- it would be The tried and true pork shoulder in a can-Spam

Give me a shout if you are going to be going through here with a cooler. Either Kroger or WinCo has had butts for $0.99 a lot recently. Long time, no talk BTW.

If you have the freezer space and find a price that you are happy with, sure. Butts around here are usually $1.49 a pound regularly.

My understanding is it's not truly ebola but an African Swine virus that's similar. It has decimated their herds and and they now buy pork in record amounts in spite of the tariff's.

Sams here was very consistent at $1.78/lb for Boston butts last year, I dont recall case price but it was probably somewhere around $1.4x/lb. Right now Sams had non case price for $1.88/lb, $1.52/lb for case price like you mentioned.

Was at Wally yesterday and their whole bone in butts were priced at $1.74 a pound. Saw a sign that said $2.04 per pound and asked the stock person about the difference and yep ,their price is going up.:sad:On another note I purchased 2 at Aldi last week @ $ 1.49 per pound.

Don't know about there but here in TX Albertson's has them for $.77/lb. through Monday. Never seen that low of a price and picked up a few...

$1.45 here, at Sam's Club.
https://www.samsclub.com/sams/pork-boston-butt/prod4570162.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

I wish I could turn back time to Jan-Feb was down to $1.06 #

I buy most of my meat at Sam's Club because I'm small potatoes. And have a small freezer.
But most of what I've bought there came from Smithfield, back East.
And even the Members Mark sez "Product of the U.S.A"
I try my damnedest to avoid food from out of the Country. Can't always, but I try.

PS: The Butcher at my Sam's Club told me they adjust prices on Fryday. And the price on Fryday is the price for a week.

Whether or not the price will go up is anyone's guess, the ASF is real and millions of breeding hogs have been slaughtered and buried in an attempt to stop the epidemic. Bottom line it never hurts to have a freezer full of meat ready for the cooker.

Back