Ribs in the 270 sumo

Free Mr. Tony

is Blowin Smoke!
Still playing with my new to me 270 and hunsaker drum. Just a simple rib cook. This was my 2nd time doing ribs in the 270. The first time I filled the water pan, and ran the cooker at about 275. I didn't care for the water aspect, and the ribs cooked super fast.

This time I was shooting for 250, and ditched the water for firebricks. I ramped up to 250, and shut the vent down most of the way. These ribs also cooked fast, but I liked the way they cooked with no water. The 270 pretty much sat dead nuts 250 for 3 hours straight. It would take just a few minutes after openings to sit right back where it started.
aam9vRIh.png

This is about 2 hours in. You can sort of see the 3 full size fire bricks sitting in a hotel pan in the bottom.
BvqoK8Kh.jpg

About 45 minutes after wrapping. Just double foiled tight. No wrap contents.
8HMDmgBh.jpg

Just dusted with a finishing rub. Pretty tasty.
ErHQdixh.jpg

Liking the looks of those. Did you use a wet finishing glaze or just a rub? Looks like a lot of nice moisture being produced on those ribs.

Liking the looks of those. Did you use a wet finishing glaze or just a rub? Looks like a lot of nice moisture being produced on those ribs.

In the pic with the foil, that was with nothing on them. Right before I put them back in for the last 15 minutes or so I put a very thin layer of sauce. Then just dusted the rub right when they came off.

looking great

how do you like teh 270? really thinking about getting one once i decide to move up from my WSM 22

Liking it quite a bit once I stopped using the water. The water was messy, and just created an ultra overly moist environment. I'm all for humidity in the cook chamber, but it was just plain wet.

Love the design. Love the angled door, and cook chamber depth (wide and shallow versus narrow and deep). I don't like messing with temp controllers, and this seems to stay steady without.

The first couple times I used it, I think I started with slightly too much lit. It would hold 275 for a long time then just start creeping up on its own to where it was running 300-325 with the intake barely cracked.

The next couple times I started with about a quarter chimney or a little less, let it come up slightly slower, and that seemed to do the trick. Sits right down where I set it, and doesn't seem to creep over time.

Still playing with the wood amount. I made some super richly smoked Mexican shredded beef that was fantastic with about 5 wood chunks. 3 mixed in the unlit coals, and 2 on top.

I didn't want the ribs quite as smoky so I put 2 in the coals, and 1 on top. They were much less smoky. Probably do 2 and 2 next time, and see what happens.

Love my 270s. If you cook with the back chamber open then the cook environment more resembles a convection oven. Hence why your meat is cooking quick. I have used the water pan from day 1 as it keeps the cooker clean and thats what the 270 team recommends. But heat sinks have always been a personal preference. I try to cook at 250-275 with the convection method and my results have been awesome. I will add my wood on after I put the meat on; learned that tip from another 270 owner.

Ribs look great btw!!

Love my 270s. If you cook with the back chamber open then the cook environment more resembles a convection oven. Hence why your meat is cooking quick. I have used the water pan from day 1 as it keeps the cooker clean and thats what the 270 team recommends. But heat sinks have always been a personal preference. I try to cook at 250-275 with the convection method and my results have been awesome. I will add my wood on after I put the meat on; learned that tip from another 270 owner.

Ribs look great btw!!

Yeah. I knew that convection cuts cook time, but sometimes it's just a term that's thrown around. In this case, it's actually present. My pellet cooker always cooked ribs faster than my other cookers, and I always had to adjust my method. This was really close to my timing on my pellet pit.

I think I may have under estimated the radiant heat that the insulated walls throw off. There is no drip pan for radiant like on the pellet, but the walls in the pellet don't hold the heat like this does.

Just a matter of doing a few cooks, and figuring out what's going on in there. I've ran about every smoker type there is, but this is my first insulated cooker.

love my 270 large also, running the back vent open defiantly makes the smoker react like a convection oven and reduces cook times by about 30% I would guess . I have always run water in mine and have always been thrilled with the results so have never run dry, have cooked ribs, pork butts, wings and briskets all with awesome results. and like mentioned above once you get the temp locked in it will hum along for hours with out moving .

ribs look great btw, how did they taste ?

Just cleaned out the ash from the cook. Including the lit lump I started with the basket not quite filled to the top lip of the basket. It ran for probably 4.25 hours including warm up. Still have nearly 3/4 of what I started with. Pretty efficient little smoker.

jpyqsKnh.jpg

How did the ribs taste Tony ?

I just realized that you posted at the exact same time as me a couple days ago so I didn't see your post. They were great! Still trying to nail down timing on the 270. I usually cook ribs on my pellet grill, so that is what I'm used to. I do comps occasionally with the pelletheads team, so I've ran several dozen racks through the pellet cooker while practicing over the years.

The depth of smoke on the 270 is apparent much more than the pellet cooker. I can pretty much nail the timing in my sleep on the pellet. Still working on the 270. These were probably ever so slightly under done. The first ones were way over, so I over adjusted this time. One more cook, and I should have it down.

Next, I'll be trying to see what the hunsaker drum can do with ribs. Love playing with new toys.

Back