THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
I have six 1.5 inch pork steaks I am going to throw on the smoker tomorrow

Any suggestions on the best way to smoke -have smoked many a shoulder, but have never done pork steaks

Thinking of smoking for around 3 hours until they hit 180 or so - then into a pan with some sauce and cover in foil for another hour until 190 or so

Thank you

Steven Raichlen's Project Fire, season 4 that just ended. He did all the shows from St Louis where pork steak is king. Very first episode, he had a guy from a local barbecue joint cook a pork steak. If ya stream, its on the PBS app.

Basically, he reverse sears the pork steak. He used a Big Green Egg. He takes it the steak to 165* IT at 250* cooker temp, it took about 2.5 to 3 hours. Then he sauced the steak and moved it over direct heat to sear, 4 minutes each side. He cooked a 1" thick steak.

I've done this several times since and its become my preferred method. I take a pork butt and cut it into 4 steaks, each about 1 1/2 to 2 " thick, so it smokes for at least 3 hours on my Masterbuilt GF at 250*. Then I move to the Kettle to sear.

I've tried the direct heat method with my 18 WSM, trying to emulate what's done at Snows in Texas. A chimney and 1/2 of charcoal and some chunks, no water pan, using the top grate. It puts the steak about 18" above the coals.

Snows mops their pork steaks. I tried that but found the steaks go into a stall at around 165 and continuing to mop just prolonged the stall. The cook took too long for me and I did not think the steaks were all that great.

The St Louis method works best for me.

Here's some relatively thin pork steaks I did on the top rack of my offset while cooking brisket a couple of weekends ago. Hot and fast for about 90 minutes on the top rack (temperature up there was probably 350-ish up there).

69nR8Pf.jpeg

Here's some relatively thin pork steaks I did on the top rack of my offset while cooking brisket a couple of weekends ago. Hot and fast for about 90 minutes on the top rack (temperature up there was probably 350-ish up there).

69nR8Pf.jpeg

What did they temp at when removed from smoker ?

Pork Steaks

Ingredients:
4 large Pork steaks, 1 1/4" thick
3 T Kosher salt
1 ½ T Black pepper, ground fresh
2 t Granulated garlic (not "powdered")
16 oz. Beer
18 oz. barbecue sauce

Directions:
Combine the salt, pepper and garlic in a small bowl and mix well.
Season both sides of each steak liberally with the seasoning, then place them in zip-top bags and refrigerate at least three hours, or overnight.
Start your grill and prepare for direct cooking over high heat (450-500Âş).
Sear the steaks on each side.
While the steaks are searing, combine the beer and barbecue sauce in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Put the steaks in a single layer into the disposable aluminum pans and cover them with the beer mixture, putting half of the beer and barbecue sauce mixture into each pan.
Cover the pans tightly with foil.
Move your coals to one side of the grill for indirect cooking.
Put the pans on the side of the grill opposite the coals and cook, indirect, for 90 minutes.
Add charcoal as needed to keep the temperature at about 350Âş throughout the rest of the cooking time.
Remove the steaks from the pans and quickly sear them over direct heat (about 2 minutes per side).
Remove to a platter and let rest for about five minutes.

For me it must be either Hill Country style on the PBC, or on grill grates on the PKTX. Emphasis on the former. Weirdly enough I'd go with sear first and smoke after in your case

Thank you for all the suggestions - Ended up smoking them for 3 hours - then put them in a pan with a bbq sauce/beer mixture and covered for another hour - they were quite good

Sorry no photos - was so hot tending the fire that I got over heated

Back