THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dadsr4

somebody shut me the fark up.
"As a child in Sicily, Connie Piccinato grew up eating squared-off wedges of focaccia studded with leftover meats . As an adult in 1946, while working as a waitress at Buddy’s in Detroit, she found herself craving the pies of her youth. But she faced a dilemma. Food-grade rectangular pizza pans simply didn’t exist at the time, so ‘square pizza’ wasn’t known in the States. But Piccinato found inspiration in a discarded rectangular ‘blue steel’ pan used for collecting errant nuts and bolts in the string of automobile-related factories along Six Mile Road. She and Buddy’s owner August ‘Gus’ Guerra pressed a batch of dough into one of the pans, nudging it into the sharp corners; topped it with cheese and sauce; and baked it off. The square pizza was a hit , and it gave Buddy’s, originally a ‘blind pig’ speakeasy selling contraband booze during Prohibition, a new lease on life.”
Their recipe, for as long as the link lasts.
https://www.cookscountry.com/recipe...e=&tag=atkntk-20&atc=ntkA&Survey_id=&mi_ecmp=

I make something similar however I make a double batch of dough and make it in a high sided sheet pan. Makes a lot of pizza but worth it.

My favorite style of pizza.

I went to high school in East Detroit and Gus' restaurant, the Cloverleaf, was always hiring students. The place was a local hangout I worked there several times in my youth, i believe the family still owns it. If im ever working on that side of town im sure to stop in for the lunch buffet.

Back