Operation BBQ Relief is deploying to California.

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Operation BBQ Relief is deploying to California to feed the victims and first responders affected by the wild fires. Since it will take several days to move equipment from the Kansas City or Memphis areas to the areas needed, we could sure use help gathering the following:

- a couple travel trailers or RVs
- box truck
- 2 buffalo choppers
- 2 meat slicers
- 2 tilt skillets

If you have any of these items and are willing to let OBR borrow them for a week or two, please email info@operationbbqrelief.org.

Donations and volunteers are needed. Please see below for an easy way to do both or download the OBR Volunteer app from iTunes or Google Play.

Looking to head to NorCal early to mid week with our pig cooker and/or meadow creek smoker. Should be able to feed 300-400 people per cook, and we have other catering/vending gear we can bring along. We'd love to help out for a couple days, looking for the fastest way to reach someone for logistics. We're vending a large event near LA this weekend, and will try to get some fundraising at event until we head north. We'll email also above link. Hopefully it's ok to leave my email address here to be reached wes@smokymutts.com. We'll be busy at event tomorrow, but we'll keep the phone nearby.
Cheers

Thanks Andy. Talking to a couple groups up there, hopefully can join forces with you guys. Cheryl said I'd hear from coordinator today. Working an event with spotty coverage but can be reached by phone or email. Will look at registration tonight...cheers

Sharing some pics from my Fri and Sun shifts at the Napa site:

Friday:
IRVWaU6.jpg

Cooksite consisted mostly of two Ole Hickory Pits, two trailers full of Meadow Creek cookers, and a couple of FECs:
vOS9py0.jpg

3PiSfai.jpg

jtOYB3I.jpg

81PGsk6.jpg

Some lunches being packed inside:
VeI5YUd.jpg

A couple of deliveries heading out:
cPkGsCP.jpg

9eRsgjt.jpg

Air quality was really lousy so most had masks on while outside:
wWvWXjE.jpg

f2dkugt.jpg

y2JMwAo.jpg

Sunday:
I arrived a little before 7 AM this morning at the Napa site.* All was quiet out at the smokers and grills:
tvEIkmT.jpg

I went inside to check-in and helped out with some prep work in the kitchen. Made the mistake of getting too close to the dishwasher and got stuck there for awhile.

Outside the crew of volunteers was busy slicing pork loins:
htjPKFV.jpg

And a bunch of sandwich prep was going on inside:
JMk1B2q.jpg

I saw my chance to escape the dishwasher and got outside and joined the crew at the grills:
5XR6Kgl.jpg

Woodhouse BBQ fired up the biggest Backwoods I've seen in person:
Ufgr6Zx.jpg

National guard stopped by to pickup some meals
s5sHcQn.jpg

Things then got really busy with lots of chicken, followed by bacon wrapped hot dogs, regular hot dogs, brats, and pork loins:
xakLzxi.jpg

o0x5uhf.jpg

5hbW4Gf.jpg

7Bz0Mt5.jpg

r9ER28g.jpg

ASASBZh.jpg

1IRBKVb.jpg

My 7 hour shift turned into a 10 hour shift. I'm beat and lost a little hair on my arms :heh: but had a blast spending time with some competition BBQ guys/gals I hadn't seen in a couple of years.

Back