Newbie from Central Tx-New to low and slow!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

garzanium

Full Fledged Farker
Hello folks. Just picked up this smoker on Saturday. Got it all prepped and seasoned. Before this I have never owned or used a smoker, have always just fast grilled meat.
20130112_154837.jpg

Got this grill and it was missing a firebox platform, so I just cut some 2x2 and grate for it.
20130112_183820.jpg

Also built me an ash tool
20130114_194034.jpg

Picked up a rib rack at Academy.
Well, the wife said she could season ribs better than me..so Sunday we had a mini cook off to see who's ribs came out better. They where both great! Especially for the first time! Used mostly oak and some hickory on top of the lump coal base.

20130113_164627.jpg

Smoked these for a little less than 2 hrs
PhotoGrid_1358124231898.jpg

And final product....
20130113_193751.jpg

A few Action items that have already came up
-increase airflow into firebox as slot now is pretty small
-seal doors as there is a about a 3/16'' TO 2/16'' gap where smoke escapes(already purchased thin steel to tack weld around the doors).
-Ordered a Maverick ET732-current thermometer may not be accurate
- Wait..I just got a nice Smoker...what about grilling??? May go check out a nice Weber One touch 22inch after work today- Used from CL.

A few questions that I have not been able to find answers to online
1- How important is it for the smoker to be totally sealed with no smoke leaks?
2. How much does outside temp. affect internal smoker temp(30-40 degrees right now...I know..its not a lot..but it is COLD for us Texans haha)?
3. On a 40 inch Smoker..how much variance in temp. will there be b/w the opposite end to where the firebox is?
4. How the heck are you suppose to properly load a sideloaded firebox to start the fire?

Welcome to the camp,
garzanium.
Stroll around the grounds until you feel at home.
Looks like you're off to a fine start!
Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back