Needle Valve help

shaggy2dope495

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
Henry
Hello all,

I have a vertical propane smoker. For whatever reason, the lowest i can get the temp to go is about 235-240. I bought a new gas hose with an adjustable gas valve, but i never looked at the connection to the smoker and I saw the original gas hose was crimped on and not screwed on, so I couldn't remove it. Someone said to cut in a needle valve and that will help control the flow of gas and i would be able to smoke at a lower temperature. Has anyone had experience with that? I don't just want to cut the gas hose and screw up my smoker.

I don’t know anything about a propane smoker, but if it’s getting too much air, can you put a gasket on the door?

I had the same problem, I bought a used upright and told the guy I wanted to cook starting at 120* and work up to 165* over 4 hours for sausage. When I got it home and tried it out it had two speeds off and full blast!
I ordered an adjustable regulator and had the same problem, crimped end. I remember having to cut the hose and dig the rubber out of the crimp and stick the new regulator into the old hose. Works just fine. Check for leaks with soapy water.
Ed

Had the same problem with mine. If I turned it too low a gust of wind would blow the flame out
I removed the burner and put stainless steel sheet metal screws in some of the holes in the burner. I believe I blocked every 5th hole. Now I can run the flame higher. Still can't go as low as you want to but it may be something to help you after installing a regulatop or valve.

Last edited:
I had one of those smokers, and I did cut the hose and put in a needle valve cause the main valve was wonky.

Worked fine, just needed to fine tune your adjustments.

Back