Need help on deciding which new smoker

TXNewbie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Someone
Hi All,

Been awhile since my last post.

I now have a Gator Pit 2448 combo smoker/grill and a new Gator Pit Santa Maria grill.

I am going to be selling my 2448 and instead getting one of their vertical smokers. This his where I need your help.

I'm debating between one with gas assist which runs on wood, charcoal or lump, or going with the pellet version. The price difference is not an issue as I think it will be similar.

I like the idea of the simplicity of the wood and charcoal, and should basically be maintenance free for many, many years. Also with it's efficiency with a BBQ Guru it should be relatively easy to maintain temp.

The real set and forget nature of the pellet has me considering this option, but I worry about electronics and more maintenance/things can go wrong, and the ability to really play with smoke flavors and such.

Any thoughts and insight you have would be greatly appreciated.

Checkout Ironside smokers. Can get a cabinet model that can run on wood, charcoal or pellet, or a combo of any. Really cool.

Just my 2 cents…There are many manufacturers that have almost perfected the pellet game. They either use components sourced in house so they can control quality or outsource them to reliable brands like FireBoard. If I were looking for a 3rd pellet, I’d look for that 1st and foremost. I’m not overly familiar with gator pits but I’ve seen them around, so I can’t attest to what type of electronics they use. If you’re looking for a set and forget, I believe a vertical with temp control unit fits the bill just as well as a pellet minus starting the charcoal. When I’m feeling lazy, I hook up my fan to my Assassin and walk away. Not trying to steer you away from pellet as I own 2 and love them both. But as with the pit itself, the electronics matter.

Just my 2 cents…There are many manufacturers that have almost perfected the pellet game. They either use components sourced in house so they can control quality or outsource them to reliable brands like FireBoard. If I were looking for a 3rd pellet, I’d look for that 1st and foremost. I’m not overly familiar with gator pits but I’ve seen them around, so I can’t attest to what type of electronics they use. If you’re looking for a set and forget, I believe a vertical with temp control unit fits the bill just as well as a pellet minus starting the charcoal. When I’m feeling lazy, I hook up my fan to my Assassin and walk away. Not trying to steer you away from pellet as I own 2 and love them both. But as with the pit itself, the electronics matter.

Great info. Thank you. That's kinda what I am trying to find out - can I hook up my BBQ Guru to the NON-pellet version and still basically be somewhat set and forget. I would prefer to NOT do pellet from a long term reliability stance.

Since you’ve bought from them before, I’d give them a call and let them know you’re looking to add a guru to their vertical smoker. They should be able to let you know if it’s possible or not. I’m sure it is, though. And it is very set and forget. I set the Assassin 48” to 275 and it purrs. To be completely honest, it’s rock solid at setting temps with just the pinwheel as long as I use briquettes.

Have you tasted pellet smoked food often? Considering the cooker you are using now I think you might find a large difference in the taste. Maybe you will prefer the pellets, but I would hate to drop a bunch of scratch only to find out that you'd prefer another fuel source.

You have a Gator 24x48? That is a dream pit - you should be schooling.

It's not the offset - it's the smoker / grill combo. It's a fantastic unit, but since I got their Santa Maria grill, I want a unit that is just a dedicated true smoker. I've had a vertical before and miss having one.

Gator Pit makes excellent stuff. What models are you considering?. I’d probably lean towards the wood/charcoal units myself, like the Gladiator model.

The only reason I mentioned Ironside smokers is that they have a unique setup that can run on wood, charcoal and pellet. Only model like that that I know of, but I bet if you were interested in something like that, the good folks at Gator Pit could probably make it happen. I know they have made some unique stuff before. You could always ask Ritch to see if he could customize something for you. Just a thought.

Gator Pit makes excellent stuff. What models are you considering?. I’d probably lean towards the wood/charcoal units myself, like the Gladiator model.

The only reason I mentioned Ironside smokers is that they have a unique setup that can run on wood, charcoal and pellet. Only model like that that I know of, but I bet if you were interested in something like that, the good folks at Gator Pit could probably make it happen. I know they have made some unique stuff before. You could always ask Ritch to see if he could customize something for you. Just a thought.

Gladiator is the one I am looking at. I think I saw on Gator's FB page one that runs on everything also. I think I'm going to stick with the wood/Charcoal/Lump one with the gas assist.

Back