Narrowed it down: Need your experience

jkief

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeffry
After everyone's suggestions, wife and I talked and we decided to get what I want and if its big enough to help out the BN, so be it. If not, oh well. They can figure it out. It's not like they're paying for the smoker. With that being said, something similar in size to the Assassin should be perfect for us, so we're going to go that route. So these 2 cookers seem to fit the bill for what I'm looking for without waiting 3 years on a Shirley...

Workhorse pits 1975: with 2nd shelf and cover we're looking around 3K. It has the larger 8" wheels, almost identical internal size to the Assassin and will just fit on my trailer. If we opted for the trailer it's still within my 4,500(ish) budget. Seems to be the best bang for the buck... Door seems very heavy with no counter weight.

TMG Fridge 36: Can hold (barely) 6 hotel pans so it gives me a bit more room. Starting price is more than Workhorse ($3,300) and only comes standard with the smaller 5" wheels. So I would have to change those out in order to get it on/off the trailer for sure. Te-Tru are an added cost as is the fire basket. But I like the option of having a fire basket to keep the fire off the cooker. Like the idea of cabinet style doors.

Anyone have hands on experience with either that can shed some light?

I repeat myself about Blue Collar smokers too much. Have you considered them for $1700 start price?

https://bluecollarsmokers.com/

Could add options you want at your budget. Only thing is it comes unfinished raw metal. No golf cart option.

And it's 3/8" thick metal.....

Also, I think you would be much happier with the 48" 1975 than the 36" TMG space wise.

36" can get cramped real fast when you consider the hot spot by the fire box output.

Oh....I forgot TMG is reverse flow. I still like 48" shelves better.

Last edited:
I repeat myself about Blue Collar smokers too much. Have you considered them for $1700 start price?

https://bluecollarsmokers.com/

Could add options you want at your budget. Only thing is it comes unfinished raw metal. No golf cart option.

And it's 3/8" thick metal.....

Those look pretty nice. The 12 hour drive there and back would suck but might be worth it.

Those look pretty nice. The 12 hour drive there and back would suck but might be worth it.

I have been cooking on a Blue Collar for a few months - The 3/8th fire box really keeps a great coal bed - if you have any questions about it please ask away

Yes, since you are in GA, unless you can go to TX and pickup the Big Phil's pit, the Workhorse 1975 may be the way to go as I'm sure the shipping would be a lot of $$$.

I was in a similar situation in 2020, when I bought a Shirley 24x36........the 1975 was my other choice. Decided on the Reverse Flow from Shirley, but if I wanted a Direct, Workhorse would be getting my order.

I'm a reverse flow guy, but that Workhorse is definitely something I'd like to have. When it comes to reverse flow I really do love Johnson Smokers and I'd recommend giving them a look to see if you're interested.

https://johnsonsmokers.com/products/

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I’ve had my 1975 for 9 months maybe. Price vs performance is off the charts imo. Runs so easily with great draft and very even temps across the cooking grates. Bare finish with linseed oil is the cats meow..far, far better than painted black imo. Just scuff it up and wipe down with linseed oil during a cook and it’s good as new. I’m not a fan of fire management baskets…at least in a round firebox. There is absolutely no need for one in the 1975. I do wish it could be customized (pull out main rack, counterweight, front shelf). I have the side shelf and recommend that, and also recommend the cowboy option as it makes it easier to clean and or vent smoke at startup. Food cooks very quickly also…faster than any cooker I’ve had prior. I no experience with tmg aside from having two of their charcoal chimneys (they r good, but the design could be a bit better as when loaded it’s off balance with their handle setup)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve had my 1975 for 9 months maybe. Price vs performance is off the charts imo. Runs so easily with great draft and very even temps across the cooking grates. Bare finish with linseed oil is the cats meow..far, far better than painted black imo. Just scuff it up and wipe down with linseed oil during a cook and it’s good as new. I’m not a fan of fire management baskets…at least in a round firebox. There is absolutely no need for one in the 1975. I do wish it could be customized (pull out main rack, counterweight, front shelf). I have the side shelf and recommend that, and also recommend the cowboy option as it makes it easier to clean and or vent smoke at startup. Food cooks very quickly also…faster than any cooker I’ve had prior. I no experience with tmg aside from having two of their charcoal chimneys (they r good, but the design could be a bit better as when loaded it’s off balance with their handle setup)

Do you just set the fire up on the floor of the firebox - No grate or fire basket ?

Do you ever have to scoop any of the ash out during a long cook

Thank you

Ted

I wouldnt go TMG for the price. They work well but perform same as others that cost less. 1975 is probably best bet from where you are located

You can look at Myron H20 series. There was one for sale down here near st augustine FL that would hold double the pans you want and uses wood

Other option would be fat stack but not sure where they are located

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you just set the fire up on the floor of the firebox - No grate or fire basket ?

Do you ever have to scoop any of the ash out during a long cook

Thank you

Ted

Direct on the floor of the firebox. The best way to manage a fire (for me anyways) is to have a split going down each side with the coals in the middle and then use 1-2 splits across those Lincoln log style. I use a shovel to maneuver the logs throughout the burn, depending if I want more or less heat. Workhorse and quetorials has some fire management videos that are great. I rarely scrape any coals out…on a 8 hour plus cook I do scrape some out though

That Blue Collar smoker with all the upgrades for $2300 looks like a great value. He may consider an upgraded wheel package. It might be worth a call. I like the 3/8" firebox.

That Blue Collar smoker with all the upgrades for $2300 looks like a great value. He may consider an upgraded wheel package. It might be worth a call. I like the 3/8" firebox.

Yea, the entire cooker is 3/8"...cook chamber too.

Back