Midweek Turkey Breast Dinner

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I had two of these Turkey Breasts in the freezer, time to make sure they get put to good use. And it could serve as practice for the upcoming holidays, which it turns out will be a good thing.

I set up the Goldens' indirect with what I thought was plenty of lump, but in hindsight wasn't a sufficient amount. Anyway, with the grill chugging along around 325 here's the turkey breast seasoned with Plowboys, sitting atop some potatoes, carrots and for the heck of it, red and green peppers with a little chicken stock to keep things moist. Just something to keep the turkey off the bottom of the pan without having to use a rack which I'd have to clean.

At about an hour into the cook, it's looking good.

With a finish temp of 165, I underestimated how long this would take and dinner was an hour late. So it goes. It's just me and the Mrs., it's not like I have a party of hungry guests to feed. Oh, and the cat. He loves chicken and turkey and kept looking at the empty cutting board wondering what the heck was going on.

As mentioned, plenty of lump turned out to be not enough and with grill temps slowly dropping I didn't want to hassle with removing the turkey, the grates and the searing plate to add more so the executive decision was made to bring this bird up to temp for the final 15 degrees in the oven. Happens once in a while.

It's finally done, at 165 and rested. (Yeah, the cat was happy too).

Moist and juicy -

Plated, with oven roasted Balsamic Cauliflower, the roasted carrots, the potatoes and peppers -

Apologies to the purists - no gravy, no stuffing. But it still was a great midweek Turkey Dinner. I'll remember to put the next one on an hour earlier.

Thanks for checking out tonite's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks good lunchman! How long did it end up taking? I've got one in the freezer that i need to pull out and cook sometime...

Looks good lunchman! How long did it end up taking? I've got one in the freezer that i need to pull out and cook sometime...

It was an 8.5 lb turkey, taking about 3 hours. Why I thought it would be done in 2, I have no idea.

Don't care what you say Dom, that is a fine meal there. Gravy or not. :thumb: I meant look at the moisture of that breast. :hungry:

Dang fine looking plate!!! Actually, the only way I really like turkey is cooked over wood. I can do without all of the mashed taters, gravy, stuffing stuff. Nice job!!!

My wife and I just had hot turkey sandwiches with bacon on Brioche buns for lunch which were outstanding. So much better than store bought deli turkey.

And yes, the cat had his share. It's amazing how the minute the turkey is taken out of the fridge he wakes up from a nap and suddenly appears.

Back