MAK 1 Star Help Please

Randy3269

is one Smokin' Farker
So, I picked a MAK 1 Star to gain additional real estate beyond the Pellet Pro 440. Problem is, the wife doesn't care for the stronger smoke profile. I typically cook at 300-325. The smoke profile on the Pellet Pro is nice and light, she loves it! Not so much on the MAK. I'm in the process of trying some different pellets, but wonder if anyone has any additional ideas.

Thanks in advance:clap2:!!

Pellet choice might help some. Definitely avoid something like Lumberjack. I might look for a fruit wood variety as well.

I’m not sure what you are cooking but wrapping (earlier) would be important. If it’s something like chicken, where I don’t typically think about wrapping, I’d bump up the temp to more like 375.

I don't think the smoker is the problem here. Just sayin' what the rest of you are thinking. :shock:

Baring divorce, maybe try the oven. :twisted:

Not often you hear of anyone mentioning pellet cooker and too much smoke.

Pretty cool though. Kudos Mak

It seems a bit extreme. My MAK puts out a slightly better smoke profile than my PitBoss Copperhead does. I would say the only advantage is I get Pitboss + Smoketube flavor, without needing a smoke tube. I still wouldn't try to pass it off ass Offset Smoker BBQ, and at lower temps it seems to have a bit of an ashtray flavor.

Cooking at over 300, I can't imagine 'too much smoke' I'll use mine at higher temps on occasion when my oven is in use, and there is a whiff of smoke. But a strong glass of Coca-Cola would overpower it.

I will add that on one of my first Mak 1 Star cooks, I sprinted out to the backyard. There was so much smoke in the yard that I thought the cooker had a massive grease fire, or the grass was on fire. It was just doing its thing.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A blend pellet will also produce less smoke than 100% wood.

I agree, but the blends are a lot stronger than most single species pellets on the market. Most ‘hickory’ pellets out there are 70-80 percent oak or alder and the rest whatever species is on the bag. A lot of blends are things like 40% Maple, 30% Hickory, and 30% Cherry (as one example) so 100% flavor wood. Only a few places do 100% hickory and other species. CookinPellets, LumberJack, and Kingsford are the ones I know and LJ does more blends than 100%.

Last edited:
I generally don’t even bother with the pellet grills and no smoke argument anymore, but since it pertains directly to the OP, I’ll chime in. I’m a pellet lunatic and have had 11 pellet grills and there is a huge difference in smoke profiles from different pellet grills and also a noticeable difference in pellets. MAK is on the very high end for pellet grill smoke profiles and I’d put food from it up against anything cooked over clean smoke on any cooker outside of a stick burner. The only pellet grill I’ve seen with a better smoke profile is the Weber SmokeFire. Controllers, drip pans, and exhaust designs all impact smoke profile. I cooked ribs on a Traeger Silverton that tasted no different than if I would have baked them in an oven because the temps held too steady to smolder pellets at all and there was only about 3/8” gap between the drip tray and the walls of the grill keeping the smoke far from the food before it blew out the exhaust.

To the OP, see if you can find some Traeger Alder pellets, if not find some Traeger Oak or another 100% oak. There’s more 100% oak available than any other species because it’s the main ‘base’ wood used and is mild in flavor and high in BTUs. Then if that works for your wife, try pecan, maple, apple, etc. from places that do 70/30 or 80/20 blends.

So, I picked a MAK 1 Star to gain additional real estate beyond the Pellet Pro 440. Problem is, the wife doesn't care for the stronger smoke profile. I typically cook at 300-325. The smoke profile on the Pellet Pro is nice and light, she loves it! Not so much on the MAK. I'm in the process of trying some different pellets, but wonder if anyone has any additional ideas.

Thanks in advance:clap2:!!

I have a 2*, but my experience has been that over 325, the smoke profile drops markedly, regardless of the pellets used.
Maybe try raising the temp a bit?

Chuck

I have a 1Star and usually use blended pellets but I picked up a bag of Lumberjack apple a couple weeks ago to try. I was surprised at how mild the smoke was and how it gave the food more of a wood fired taste than a smoked flavor. Give it a shot, you might be pleased.

I apologize for the delayed response. Had to spend a few days out of town to wrap up a project before Christmas. I really appreciate all the responses. I'll continue trying different pellets and bumping the temp a little. I hope to find the right combination or someone is going to get a great deal on a minimally used MAK.:roll:

Back