THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KennesawBBQ

New to Hunsaker and starting my 4th cook this morning. Until now, I haven't used a probe thermometer at the grate to validate temperature reading on the installed thermometer.

Put a brisket on a little while ago and decided to measure temp at the grate (grate is sitting at second level from the top) and was surprised to see grate temperature at 340 while exhaust thermometer read 290.

Anything to be concerned about here? I am guessing grate temp was higher due to the barrel being wide open for warm up and temps just haven't stabilized.

Should I be concerned?

Previous 3 cooks turned out fabulous.

Thanks for the responses

Agree with sacked^^ Try suspending the probe in the air for a more accurate reading.

Oh and don't worry about it.

If your previous 3 cooks have turned out fabulous I wouldn't worry to much about it. You must be doing it right!

I assisted a team at a recent comp and they used 3 Hunsaker drums. They had thermometers in both the exhaust and just below the grate...the ones at the grate were slightly higher and it seemed they adjusted the air flow based on the grate temp and didn't worry so much about the exhaust temp.

You should not be concerned. Don't worry about the temp much. Set the drum based on the exhaust temp, and let it cruise. Just throw the food on the grate and cook it until it's tender. If you wrap, wrap when it has the color you want. I cook on Gateway's but the temp on grate and the temp on the thermometer are different on those as well I'm sure.

You should not be concerned. Don't worry about the temp much. Set the drum based on the exhaust temp, and let it cruise. Just throw the food on the grate and cook it until it's tender. If you wrap, wrap when it has the color you want. I cook on Gateway's but the temp on grate and the temp on the thermometer are different on those as well I'm sure.

^^^^^ :thumb:

I see so many people getting wrapped around the thermometer :-D If you previous cooks came out well, just keep doing what you are doing! I use my stack thermometers only, and have based my timing off of them. As long as they are consistent from cook to cook, it doesn't matter if the top grate is hotter or cooler. The results will be the same.

Ya grate temp isn't the same. You can get super fancy like me if you want and use a paperclip to do a more apples/apples comparison. I really only use the maverick when I want to monitor the meat temp since I've learned to just go by what the drum says. Mine are pretty spot on

KXwoHU7l.jpg

Wq6VmuDl.jpg

x2uN3etl.jpg

I have always used the grate at the top possible setting so far and have only checked it a couple of times with a digital and once with a oven therm. It's alway been dead on, the therm is adjustable, I did bump it up 15 degrees when I seasoned it because the grate was reading 15 higher.

I don't bother checking anymore, it is always doing what I expect it todo temp wise and my timelines are pretty much spot on and I use the hanging rack a lot too. I don't compete so it's not critical if I'm 30min +/-.

Last edited:
I adjust from the grate temp and usually have two probes around 4-5 inches from the meat on my faux Hunsaker drum. My grate temp is usually 25-50F higher than exhaust temp. I forgot this on the last cook and nearly had pork jerky bones with my STL cut.

Just cook! With the Hunsaker thermometer in exhaust there is zero need for added thermometers. Your meat can’t tell temp! BBQ is a hands on cooking style. The difference in temp is because the grate is serving as a heat sink.

^^^^^ :thumb:

I see so many people getting wrapped around the thermometer :-D If you previous cooks came out well, just keep doing what you are doing! I use my stack thermometers only, and have based my timing off of them. As long as they are consistent from cook to cook, it doesn't matter if the top grate is hotter or cooler. The results will be the same.

^^^^^ I agree -- before digital thermometers, wifi transmitters, and remote alarms, all we had were the cheap round bimetal versions that came with the pit. I'm sure they were inaccurate as hell, but because they at least were consistent from cook to cook, you could work out relative temp's and times and it all worked just fine. Excellent results.

In contrast, in my experience, the one thing sure to ruin a good smoking session is to stress about details like the temp's, etc. . . .

Back