Howdy

HillCountrySmoker

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Casey
Hey folks
New here, of course. My name is Casey and I'm excited to learn more from so many people. I started out my BBQ journey with borrowed gear - first on a Traeger Tailgater that someone bought who didn't cook, and they let me borrow it as much as I wanted. It was ok, but definitely not cut out for whole briskets. The number of headaches and swear words were too much when I tried cooking on that thing. Father in law has one of those Triton combo deals, propane on one side and smoker on the other. I played with that for a few cooks trying my hand and got hooked on the stick burning.
We didn't have the space for me to get a real stick burner until we recently got a house, so naturally it was time. I had done tons of reading and research. Really liked the Mill Scale pits but did not like the price. I saw the Old Country pits at Academy here in San Antonio and felt like this was good compromise - I had seen enough people mod them to essentially look like the Mill Scale, just a touch smaller, so I felt like this was the play.
Found a used one that the owner had already done most of the mods - baffle removed, ball valve installed, and it was nice and clean. I pulled the trigger and have done 2 cooks so far. I want to do the smoke collector mod but I'm not sure on pipe size - I've seen one guy go with a 4" pipe that was about 42". I also want to get a piece of 1/4" plate and bend it to make a removable "mill scale/franklin style" baffle that sits on the grate. Other than that, maybe some better wheels to move it but I'm young and still strong enough to muscle it around as needed. Anyway, here is where I started and here is the new smoker

Attachments

• Triton.jpg
    Triton.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Old country brazos DLX.jpg
    Old country brazos DLX.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Back