How early do I need to get to Franklins?

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
Going to Austin in a month or so and want to go to Franklin BBQ. Probably needs to be Friday. What time do I need to get there to assure a place? 6:00 too early or not early enough?

Saturday we are going to Lockhart. I have been there and know the routine there. Going to Smittys, Kreuz, and Blacks.

If you don't want to wait in line, you can always order online and pick it up, the only problem is there is a 5 lb minimum, so it depends on how many people you have with you if you want to go that route. I was in Austin a couple of years ago and tried to do that and it was a 3 lb minimum then, but all the supply was sold out the entire time I was there.

If you don't want to wait in line, you can always order online and pick it up, the only problem is there is a 5 lb minimum, so it depends on how many people you have with you if you want to go that route. I was in Austin a couple of years ago and tried to do that and it was a 3 lb minimum then, but all the supply was sold out the entire time I was there.

So basically, you need to go with a friend now instead of single serving.

It's just my wife and I so 5 lbs would be too much, especially going to Lockhart the next day.

I don't mind waiting in line, it's an experience. I can go at 5:00 if that's what I need to do but just wondering what time I should shoot for to be real close to the front.

It's just my wife and I so 5 lbs would be too much, especially going to Lockhart the next day.

I don't mind waiting in line, it's an experience. I can go at 5:00 if that's what I need to do but just wondering what time I should shoot for to be real close to the front.

Yes, both Franklin's and Lockhart are pretty special. I really can't help as the last time I was there was about 8 years ago. I believe I snuck into line about 9:30 as I was at a meeting in the morning and happened to meet gtr, who was waiting with his sister there. I had a great time in line actually. Here is a blog post about the line at Franklin's:

https://somuchlife.com/how-long-is-the-line-at-franklin-bbq/

It would appear that the line is not as long as it was when we were there. According to this person, they still had food even when the line was gone. That wasn't the case for us as about an hour before opening they marked the spot they expected to be sold out and there were about 40 people lined up beyond. I'm not surprised if the line is shorter as there will be a lot of people who will only wait in line once and there are a lot of other great BBQ places in Austin you can go to and not wait at all. I know a lot of people will recommend not waiting. I personally hate waiting in lines, but this was really a social event and I enjoyed it.

I would say these days you are guaranteed the entire menu if in line by 7 (maybe even 8) on a Friday. With so many other equally as good bbq joints around town now it's not as bad as it once was. I agree the line is an experience and at the end you get fantastic bbq.

I was informed last night that I have it backwards. We are arriving late Thursday night and staying near the airport. Getting our car Friday at 9:00 to avoid paying for another day so it looks like we are going to Lockhart on Friday and Franklin on Saturday instead. I'll bet I need to be a little earlier on a Saturday.

It has been a few years since I last ate there but I make a point of passing and gawking when I travel through Austin since Franklin's is only one block East of I35 at 11th St.

I was around 10th in line when I got there on a Saturday at 0745. By 0900 there were 70+ in line and soon thereafter a young woman marched down the line asking and tallying up how much everyone was planning on ordering. Knowing how much was available, at one point she warned later arrivals they might not get any food - no one left their spot in line. They open the door to pre-orders around 1030 and everyone else around 1100. I was planning on buying for others but pre-orders are very limited so I bought about 5# but ate lunch on a picnic table outside. It was worth it.

I can't speak for current demand but don't think you'll have to be there a whole lot earlier.

BTW, bring a chair.

Lockhart's is also VERY worth it.

I hit Lockhart a couple times when I was down for some of the Texas Bashes. Wasn't impressed with either Black's or Kreutz's. I've have heard good things about Terry Black's and they just opened a new joint in Lockhart.

Lockhart is all about Nostalgia these days outside of Terry Blacks. Smitty's is a site to behold.

It's always interesting to fit everyones advice to my situation. I love advice, I asked for it, keep it coming.

So(combined with another non-BBQ sites advice)
Austin:
-Franklin on a Saturday 7:00 or before to be in a decent place in line, but there might be other places (Louie Mueller or Interstellar) with no line that are almost as good and I get back half a day to do other things.
-Don't go to Salt Lick

Lockhart:
-Terry Blacks may be better than Blacks (but we both really liked Blacks last time)
-Kruez isn't what it was, must see Smittys (was just the opposite for us last time)

Any other thoughts from people who like BBQ?

It's always interesting to fit everyones advice to my situation. I love advice, I asked for it, keep it coming.

So(combined with another non-BBQ sites advice)
Austin:
-Franklin on a Saturday 7:00 or before to be in a decent place in line, but there might be other places (Louie Mueller or Interstellar) with no line that are almost as good and I get back half a day to do other things.
-Don't go to Salt Lick

Lockhart:
-Terry Blacks may be better than Blacks (but we both really liked Blacks last time)
-Kruez isn't what it was, must see Smittys (was just the opposite for us last time)

Any other thoughts from people who like BBQ?

That is all fairly standard advice. By "standard" I mean that many people will give you the same, but remember this is BBQ and there is some fluctuation in quality. Here are some of my observations to muddy up the waters a bit:

You don't go to Franklin's just for great BBQ. The BBQ is great, but it also is unique. You also go because it is an experience. If it were just great BBQ, there are many other places you can go that will save you about 4 hours in line.

I love Lockhart. I've heard some bad things said about Black's, but the two times I've been have been outstanding. The last time I had one of the best slices of Brisket I've ever had. The sides are nice, but I found them ridiculously pricey when I was there last and would skip altogether. I would certainly try Terry Black's the next time I'm down there. I also love the town. It is beautiful.

Louis Mueller BBQ is also a go-to. Again, another fabulous location and a legend. Had a fabulous beef rib that I still talk about.

Another place not mentioned is LABarbeque. I happened to stumble upon them when they were a food truck and before they were such a big thing, and had one of the best slices of brisket ever.

You can use the search function to pull up reviews of different places in the region. I've submitted these, for instance:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258202
Go down a few posts on this one:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184372&page=2

There's also a Terry Blacks in Austin. Louie Meuller's was really good when I was there. Cooper's was also really good, in downtown Austin. They had goat leg when I was there. If I had a choice on a Saturday morning, I'd rather go to Snow's than Franklins. FYI, haven't been to either.

And for non BBQ, Voodoo Donuts on 6th St. Camino El Camino, dive bar with awesome burgers. Scholz Garden if you're into German food. And there's a Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken in downtown Austin. If it's as good as the one in Memphis, you'll be in for a treat.

Alsao Banger's Sausage House, great beer garden.

Last edited:
I followed up this with a thread on our trip over the weekend. Thanks to all who commented. Your advice was very useful.

Back