Help Wanted. Reply Inside

bwram1

is one Smokin' Farker
My cousins and I have reached the conclusion, that it's time for us to take the plunge into the icy waters of Competition BBQ. We plan to attend 4-6 comps this season, to get a feel for it, and to ask questions of anyone willing to listen. We are working on reaching an agreement on methods and flavor profiles and will have family, friends and neighbors be our judges til we "get it right".
We are in the process of coming up with the team name and have, to this point, narrowed the possibles down to 2: (1) Oink, Cluck 'n' Moo Crew and (2) Talk Birdy to Me.

Am hoping some of y'all can offer some input on those choices...Or even offer some other ideas.

NOTE: I know that Phil will likely move this thread, but was hoping to get some input from those of you that I have come to know and respect...and I ain't sure how many of you pop into the comp forum on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts on the matter.

EDIT: Talk Birdy to Me is mine. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
There is an Oink Cluck and Moo cooking in Illinois, so if you are going to cook KCBS comps they will likely request that you add NC of something to the name to make it unique. I'm not sure about Talk Birdy To Me, but I like it!

What smoker y'all gonna use and transport.?

We are just attending comps this year and likely won't compete til next spring...Maybe 4 local comps to start. We are discussing possibilities for cookers. I want to split the cost on something now so we can get through the learning curve of a new cooker...A couple of them are saying we have a few months to decide.

My cousin has an enclosed trailer and a couple of 5x8's from when we had a family owned roofing business. If they aren't willing to buy a trailer rig for the initial few cooks, then I'm all for loading 2-3 of our cookers in the enclosed or affixing two of them to one of the others and rolling with that setup.

Last edited:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1624140998/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491067141&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=bill+gillespie[/ame]

This book will help you. I am using his brisket recipe for a kcbs comp this year. Its top notch book. A must have guide imo. Plus the sauce recipe is much better than blues hog. :)

Talk birdy to me is my vote.

As for smokers, flavors, and all that other craziness, don't get too stressed out over it all. There are so many ways to compete. Just remember to have fun and it will be a success.

Don't be afraid to jump on the comp forums and ask questions. We don't bite. Often :-D

I'm thinking a Beat Up Rusty truck and 3 Rusty Crusty Ugly Drum Smokers.....setup next to the High $ Smoker rigs n Rvs.......

These guys have a Cool name.......

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dhWyKFMF_ok[/ame]

But I like "Orgasmic Q"

Last edited:
I'm thinking a Beat Up Rusty truck and 3 Rusty Crusty Ugly Drum Smokers.....setup next to the High $ Smoker rigs n Rvs.......

I had the pleasure of attending a couple of comps back in 2015...Got to sample some pulled and ribs from a couple of teams that took the walk. I honestly believe I could compete in those categories with my WSM and have a chance at getting a call. I am working diligently on my chicken and will start working on brisket during Easter week when I'm off.

We wanted to stay away from play on "animal" names and anything relating to a cartoon animals as a logo, but that was just us and we don't have good taste anyways :-D. Check out the KCBS site (if that is where you are competing) and you can look for duplicate names.

Have fun. Ask tons of questions and practicing a lot helps so much. Some teams do get burnt out and stop or do less. We had a few years of 20+ which was a lot (though many do 30+) and now priorities have simply changed so we still compete, but less.

Comp stuff is just different and it scares some folks so if you can get into the mentality of a completely different type of bbq and understand how it isn't meant to be home stuff it really is awesomely fun. And some folks genuinely have no interest too. The process, atmosphere and people are really great. Really helps round out and give you skills in bbq you might not get elsewhere and opens your mind to new ideas. Had some amazing experiences with my wife at competitions. Things I'll never get anywhere else :-D.

Check out the comp section as others have mentioned as there are tons of tips there. Malcolm Reed's site (how to bbq right) has lots of great videos for home and comps.

See your from Hickory NC.What about " Real Hickory BBQ " and have Hickory NC in good size letters below the name.

I agree with a lot of what Jason said. I started out, and still compete, in backyard divisions, a lot of comps offer that. It is a good way to 1) get some experience with the whole competition mentality, 2) compete in all categories excluding brisket, usually, 3) meet some teams and ask questions, and 4) spend less money for supplies and entry fees to decide if you really want to continue. I plan on going to pro in the next year or two, but only when I feel the time is right. Whatever you decide, you will enjoy it. BTW, Talk birdie to me has my vote.

Good to hear you are thinking about competing.You are in for a great time ahead of you.On April 14,15th there is a contest in Kings Mountain,NC not far away from you and Lexington April 28,29 and Kannapolis May 5,6.Visit these contests and look around and talk to the teams and you will get some ideas for which direction you will want to go.Get your pocket book out because you are going to need it.The bbq world is a bunch of great people.PM me as I am in Hickory and will be glad to help you in any way.

Good to hear you are thinking about competing.You are in for a great time ahead of you.On April 14,15th there is a contest in Kings Mountain,NC not far away from you and Lexington April 28,29 and Kannapolis May 5,6.Visit these contests and look around and talk to the teams and you will get some ideas for which direction you will want to go.Get your pocket book out because you are going to need it.The bbq world is a bunch of great people.PM me as I am in Hickory and will be glad to help you in any way.

We discussed doing the backyard div at Butts n Beans at the fairgrounds in September...and the sister comp in Caldwell Co. in October...September one may be tough though...I have a wedding to cater that will either be that weekend or the next...date is still undetermined. All they are sure of is they want Q.

As long as you are planning to attend 3, or 4 comps, why not get your CBJ, and judge some contest, its a real blast. You can learn a lot from judging contest. Always remember it is the last 15 minutes before box turn in times that will make you or break you.
Dave

Talk Birdy to Me would get my vote. I'm a huge Poison fan, and if I would ever win the lottery, they would be playing my birthday.:-D

Back