Hello from Scandinavia!

Repscallion

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Casper
Hi y'all (love that its gender neutral:razz:)

Im a danish chef new to the world of BBQ and smoking, just got an used big ol' (american) offset smoker. Very excited about venturing into the great field of smoking meats.

I work with a new brewery that wants to start doing BBQ for our new taphouse, beer and meat - a classic combo. Im a total noob, but thats the best place to start I think - and this is a great place for me to start learning from the best!

Right now everything is under lockdown, so no bars, restaurants etc are allowed to be open, but spring is around the corner and we, like everyone else can’t wait for some sun, a cold beer and some great food in friends company! In the beginning it will be mostly outside, maybe 100-150 guests and hopefully well expand.

Originally we were looking at an Oyler 1300, because we wanted to be ambitious, but reality was that lead time and price was a little too much. We found a (alot!) cheaper alternative in this used bad boy. It was rusty, berried in the bag of barn filled with junk, but we though the quality looked alright, size was good and price was realistic. Asking price 3200$ and we got it for 2200$.

(I don't know if I should post all of this stuff here or make a seperate post?)

Status right now is that I’ve hosed it down with a pressure cleaner to get the worst dirt/grease and rust out. And got a price for 900$ for sandblasting and painted! (great then I don’t have to spend a week achieving a ****ty result! And then when I get it back ill season the inside and fire it up and I’m ready to start testing and getting to know it.

Tbh I dont have any experience bbq’ing/smoking other than backyard grilling, but I am a chef. So reading books, forums and watching youtube is my plan. Any recommendations?

I need to get some wood. I sense that oak is the most preferred, with some using apple, cherry, pecan, hickory etc. I need to look in to prices, we have alot of local beech and ash wood. What is the general consensus around wet vs dry wood?

I need to add heating isolated string on the doors.

I need to add a thermometer. What do people recommend? There is one hole in between the doors. But I feel I might need several probes to know the temperature close to the firebox, top of the barrel, close to the chimney etc and maybe a meat probe.

Can’t wait to start playing around with it, see how she handles or how much meat I can stick in it xD

Sounds like you're off to a good start! Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Mostly a friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome, Casper. Glad you found us. It sounds like you will soon be well equipped to start your smoking journey. Please post some pictures when you can.
As for wood, you definitely want to use seasoned wood. It will burn to maintain heat and give you a thin-blue smoke instead of a thick, acrid smoke that green wood will produce. A lot of people here like Tel-Tru thermometers. They are pricey, but great products. There is a Brethren here, KenInk, that sells Inkbird wireless/remote thermometers for placing in your meat and at different positions in the smoker to monitor temps (look him up on Amazon). He often offers brethren discounts and has giveaways.
Hopefully, you guys will get the green light to reopen your businesses soon and you can get back to normal lifestyles.

This is just welcome here (Welcome!). Head on over to Q-Talk and post your questions/details/etc. over there. Then make sure you visit the Woodpile. I'm sure you'll do great. The best BBQ restaurants I know were opened by trained chefs. It helps a lot to understand food and basic cooking techniques. You're going to have work learning fire control as that bad boy is going to work a whole lot different from an oven. Anyway, only been to Copenhagen once on my way to Legoland. Would love to head back.

Welocme to the forum, Casper.

Head on over to Q-Talk and post up all your questions. Much more cooking traffic over there.

You will definitely want to use seasoned wood when you bbq.

Welcome Casper. You should find lots of great information here. Many chefs here I believe

Welocme, Casper! You've come to the right place.

Looking forward to your continued adventures if you'll share them with us.

Välkommen!

BBQ and beer under one roof has worked for generations. Good luck with your business plan.

Back