Having a Great Vacation.

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Came down to Texas from Idaho mainly to visit Family. We stayed at my SIL's north of Amarillo for a couple of days and was able to have some great Tex-Mex food. Didn't get any pics. Made our way to The Hill Country and saw Cooper's BBQ in Junction, TX. I knew they were in Llano but I hoped this one was affiliated. I asked when we went in and the server said they weren't. It all looked good so I ordered some brisket, pork ribs and sausage. This place was a huge disappointment. Everything was very dry. The ribs were tough and tasted like carnitas.

Next we went to my Dad's home town. While visiting my Cousin Sidney, I spotted a smoker in his yard. I was curious so I asked if had belonged to another cousin and sure enough. This smoker was instrumental in my bbq epiphany. Back in 2002 at our family reunion cousin Raymond was the pit master. He gave me a taste of his brisket and I became obsessed with smoking.

Next we went to San Antonio to take in the sights and take my granddaughter to SeaWorld which we will do tomorrow. Today we went to Mi Tierra for dinner. I have craved Tex-Mex food for so long. And it didn't disappoint. I had beef enchiladas which were amazing. Forgot to get a pic but I got one of the fried ice cream.

I picked up some pralines and a peanut patty from their bakery while I was there. The pralines were the bomb but the peanut patty, not so much. They used regular peanuts instead of Spanish peanuts which was just wrong. My mom is from Texas and made "peanut Patty's from Texas" when I was growing up so I had my taste buds set for her style.

I'm hoping to stop by Louis Mueller's on our way to Topeka. Of course I'm planning to hit Arthur Bryant's in KC.

Sounds like a great trip! I like the smoker, it's similar to the old ones around this area. :grin:

Update: although we weren't planning to go to Lockhart we went by and I decided to try Black's and I am now a brisket lover. I ordered a rib and my wife ordered brisket. I also got potato salad and beans. All the meat was amazing. My wife gave me a slice of point front the end. It was pure heaven.

More to come.

Today we went to Arthur Bryant's. Really nothing like I imagined. None of the sauce tasted like any KC style I've had. The sauce that came with the meat didn't taste like the sauce on the table. In fact I didn't like any of the sauces that were on the table. The staff seemed like they hate their jobs. The pulled pork and rib tips were really good. The sliced beef was okay and the sausage was really different. Thinly shaved pieces were shaped like spam and tasted similar to the meat that comes on a gyro. I'm glad I went but wouldn't go again anytime time soon.

Thanks for the updates and pictures. I also had a rib at Blacks and thoroughly enjoyed it and the brisket.

Back