For those into Traegers

Magnumb

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
House Broken
Well, my first post. Longtime lurker.

I’ve managed to glean some interesting information about new product. Currently that info seems hard to come by. So I figured some of you MIGHT be interested.

Before all that, I should mention that I’ve owned several pellet machines, a kettle and currently have. Kamado Big Joe, with a Pork Butt smoking right now. It’s -30c here before windchill...so I wanted to see how she would handle a long cook.

As for the Traeger news, I found this interesting as I’m buying a new gas grill and a pellet machine. Say what you want about Traeger, but it’s a functional option that has served many well. I posted this originally on the Facebook timberline fan page: so here it is in its (short) fullness:

Here is what I’ve discovered about the Spring 2019 Models.

I spied a North American variant of the Traeger Ironwood 885 in the wild. Didn’t have the (small but advanced)D2 controller as seen on the Australian and British models. Rather it had the same control panel as found on the NA Timberline. Truly it is slotted between the pro 575 and the timberline 850/1300 in the lineup.

Anyone else find evidence of such? Clearly these are a pending release.

Here is a link to the Pro 575 on a Rona Canada site.
https://www.rona.ca/en/pellets-grill-pro-575-36-000-btu-bronze-tfb57gzec-52415000?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151

No such link for the Ironwood, but I spotted one in Canada. And touched it. �� it has some of the fancier hardware treatment of the timberline models, but the profile of the Pro 575. It’s nice looking, however Pricing in Canada seems high at 2k for the Ironwood. Essentially, it (ironwood) has the double walled lower half of an timberline and the top half profile of the pro 575. It isn’t a fully gasketed door, just gasket at the bottom of the door which is something. I don’t recall if it had the rear slotted chimney or a standard chimney. I’ll need to get back to you all on that. The top half of the chamber is not double walled. I will see what I can find out about grease handling...I didn’t know to look when I was checking it out.

Hope you all find this interesting. I sure did. Hope Traeger breaks silence on the new models soon.

End of Traeger news:

In Green Mountain Grills news, looks like they JUST posted the new for 2019 PRIME variants of their pellet grills. Seems to be keeping them in line with what I’ve seen from camp chef etc. Prices seem easonable. I understand they have moved to a DC 12v electrical system. That presents some interesting options...more than anything I think they are running an auger motor with more torque. 12v might make sense if they don’t need to rectify 120 to 12v at the controller. Makes it all less expensive. They are taking a shot at the Traeger lineup with their quip about tighter temp control and faster startup. Price sure seems right.

Again, hope ya’ll interested in pellet poopers finds this interesting.

Cheers
Mags

Last edited:
Nice post. Was this grill being sold at a warehouse type place? I got mine last year as a gift and it's called the Silverton. It was a Costco model and is not listed on their official site anywhere. Still works great, just annoying to know that as time goes on support may be quite limited in their knowledge if a problem pops up

Nice post. Was this grill being sold at a warehouse type place? I got mine last year as a gift and it's called the Silverton. It was a Costco model and is not listed on their official site anywhere. Still works great, just annoying to know that as time goes on support may be quite limited in their knowledge if a problem pops up

It’s a mainline (non-special edition) grill. Should show up on their site in the next two weeks. I hear they are being loaded onto trucks and shipped out this week and next.

I think you will be fine for service with the Silverton. Usually special editions are all the same hardware, some different treatment in the looks department, but functionally identical, which is to say very good. They can offer a great value without cannibalizing their mainline models. IMHO these sorts of deals are the way to go. Often a superb value.

I did glean some additional info in my searches. So the D2 controller I referred to in my OP has more to do with the components behind the controller, such as motor etc. Sounds like they may be referring to the “D2” system in marketing materials as it pertains to the auger motor. The D2 is brushless and higher performance.

So to add to that, the D2 motor was not on 2018 timberline models but will be for 2019 and will address the time-to-temp issues seen with gen 1 timberlines.

Further to this. Other than the portable units and the smallest Traegers it appears the D2 system is being introduced across the Traeger lineup. Good news. The pro, ironwood and timberline will all have the fancy controller.

So this seems like a good move for a brand deadset on charging top dollar. They are bringing consistency to the controllers, motors etc across the board.

Sorry for the word salad. But I’ll finish on this point.

I was able to confirm the Pro models with D2 will have a standard chimney, the Ironwoods (slotted between pro and timberline) will use the draft system from the timberline, and the timberline will continue on with v2 internals that should address the shortcomings of gen1.

The sweet spot in terms of looks, pricing and features in Canada seems to be the 650” ironwood model at 1600$. Not cheap, but not 2500$ either.

The unit that has gotten me quite excited based on price and feature is the:
Broil King Smoke™ Pellet XL - It had a late launch last year missing their window, so broilking put it on ignore for 2018, however they are adding wifi and an app for 2019 and will be relaunching it with a marketing push.

Curious to see how it does. It’s not dirt cheap, but having looked at one in person, the build quality and looks are impressive.

Cheers

Back