First butt on the mini! With Pron...

Decoy205

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
I know there's been a million threads like these but it's my first go at this and I'm learning a ton. I was able to get the butcher to carve me up a 5.75# butt since there was none in the case. So it was fresh!

Family was coming over at 2:30 and I was hoping to have food ready by 4.

Used KBB for the first time since building the mini. I've been using Stubbs briqs with good results but ran out and got the sale on the KBB. Loaded it up and while it was getting up to temp I prepped the meat.

Tried the Chris Lilly injection per this great site. Rubbed with a little oil and a basic rub I made.

D1A7306C-7A0A-448F-9676-DCB44FAE6F8F_zpshzugdb5f.jpg

On the mini at 7:30. I was trying to keep the cooker at 250-275 but for some reason it didnt want to settle it would either go to 250 or shoot up to 300 when I tried to adjust. Wanted to try and finish it in the 6-7 hours tops. After 3 hours looked like this and temps were in the 145-155 range

Here it is at 5 hours just breaking out of the stall:

Here it is after 7 hours starting getting up into the 180s ans 190s on most parts but the tougher part under the bone did not probe well even though it temped at 187.

At 8.5 hours I pulled it. Seems long for 5.75 pounds?

I wanted to wait longer before pulling only waited a half hour cuz people's wanted to eat!

So here she is pulled:

Bone came out with just a little nudge:

Ready to eat!

Served with a little Stubbs bbq sauce pickles, and some slaw I made. I was busy trying to help my guest put together their Sammie's that I forgot to get a plated pic. And I was starving so I ate fast haha.

It was good! Next time I'm using Stubbs and I'm gonna take my time and rest it fully.
Thanks to all you guys for the great tips!

-John

Looks really good! Next time try 300 the whole time. Butts can take the heat and it will take less time.

Looks really good! Next time try 300 the whole time. Butts can take the heat and it will take less time.

Thanks I will try that next time. Using Stubbs though at 300 the KBB will burn up quick!

Looks really good to me

That does look good. Nice bark.

Looks like a good one...

Thanks guys! It was good! I saved enough for one Sammy for myself today!

Back