Costco's Rack of Pork Char Siu Thoughts

Pog Mo Thoin

Name or Nickame
Pog
I just purchased a rack of pork from Costco and thinking of doing it Char Siu style. Wondering if anyone has done this in the past and another question; I plan to reserve a portion of the marinade to baste the meat as it smokes but also reserve a portion for a dipping sauce. I have never made Char Siu so I do not have any intel related to the marinade. Is that okay or should I look for another alternative.

If I don't respond to this post forgive me. For some reason I was unable to respond to my last post and thank everyone for the feedback. It was very helpful. Something about a glitch in the matrix with my post. We shall see with this one.

You all have a great day! Pog

First of all, I absolutely love those racks of pork and I love char siu. I can't quite see bringing the two together, however. Char siu is more of a surface sauce and does not penetrate into the meat. For me, it works best on smaller, irregularly shaped pieces. I've tried it on larger pieces and wasn't crazy about the results -- it wasn't bad, it just wasn't ideal. I'd be happy if someone changes my mind.

First of all, I absolutely love those racks of pork and I love char siu. I can't quite see bringing the two together, however. Char siu is more of a surface sauce and does not penetrate into the meat. For me, it works best on smaller, irregularly shaped pieces. I've tried it on larger pieces and wasn't crazy about the results -- it wasn't bad, it just wasn't ideal. I'd be happy if someone changes my mind.

That was my initial thought - a pork tenderloin would work fine for char siu, but way too much surface area on the rack of pork to do the dish justice. I'd be inclined to brine the entire rack, then season it up and cook indirect.

That was my initial thought - a pork tenderloin would work fine for char siu, but way too much surface area on the rack of pork to do the dish justice. I'd be inclined to brine the entire rack, then season it up and cook indirect.

I believe those racks already are brined, which is why they tend to be quite juicy as a roast. As for the pork tenderloin, that is precisely what we do, but we slice them longways in thirds or quarters depending on how thick they are to give them more surface area. I personally like it better if I don't make clean cuts to give it some more roughness and edges to give it some irregularity. When you're slicing longways, put the Shun away and get out your butterknife and don't forget to take off that silverskin (you can use the Shun for that, of course).

You can do it with a rack. Typically it's hung in a vertical gas oven and basted frequently at high temps.

Traditional Char Siu is done with a part the the collar butt. You need the fattiness for texture and flavor.

I don't know what those Costco racks look like but they do need to have a lot of meat on them to make it worthwhile.

Cheers!

Bill

This is one thing I like about the Brethren. I have no idea what you guys are talking about beyond "rack of pork", so I'm googling, learning something new.

Have made excellent char sui using a pork tenderloin. Not sure how it would go with a rack, but I say go for it and report back!

Okay Boys, thank you for the feedback. When I ran the plan through the wife she also did not seemed as excited as to the process I was planning. I will roll traditional with it and go Char Siu next time I get a tenderloin or the butts go on sale. Maybe a sale on pork steaks.

Thanks for the feedback and comments everyone. very much appreciated.

Pog Mo Thoin

You can do it with a rack. Typically it's hung in a vertical gas oven and basted frequently at high temps.

Traditional Char Siu is done with a part the the collar butt. You need the fattiness for texture and flavor.

Bill

I absolutely agree with this, but I live with people who gag at even the sight of a tiny bit of fat or grizzle. I would so much love to slice up a butt for char siu, but it could only be done if I did it low and slow and the fat dissolved, which ... maybe I should give that a try. :noidea: Anyway, tenderloin is the compromise I have to live with. You should see all the trimming they do on those rack of porks. I can easily make a meal of just that.

Back