Cooking Wood: Sam’s Club

silverfinger

Babbling Farker
Last edited:
Thanks for posting this. I just found a very rare in this area Lang 36. So in between cleaning it out I've been looking for some quick wood options - for seasoning the smoker, and hopefully getting some cooks in before the snow flies again. We're getting extremely mild winter, so it looks like that will happen.

The ad says it is .65 cu-ft for $6.98. The internet thinks oak is about 47 lbs per cubic foot, so that might be around 30 lbs for the bundle? And $0.23 per pound. The bark probably takes some space.

My local home depot has bags of Kingsford Hickory splits, 1.0 cu ft, for $29.97. That density is similar to oak. I'm lucky to have the option of local hickory about 4 hours drive away.

Charny, 1CF or less won't go very far in a Lang - even the small one. Unless you're rich you'll go broke.

You should be looking at Craig's List, FaceBook Market Place and the like. Check with tree trimmers and yard care companies. You should be buying by the rick aka face cord, or cord to feed your new stick burner.

At ~$7/bundle of .65 cu. ft. that's almost $1400 per cord (if my figuring is correct).
Google says a cord is 128 cu. ft.

You should be looking at Craig's List, FaceBook Market Place and the like. Check with tree trimmers and yard care companies. You should be buying by the rick aka face cord, or cord to feed your new stick burner.

Thanks. I was at an orchard today that I heard was trimming, and have been spreading the word.

Just took a look at my bundle from Sam's and it is not oak. Burned a sliver and .. I'm not sure. It isn't hickory.

Just took a look at my bundle from Sam's and it is not oak. Burned a sliver and .. I'm not sure. It isn't hickory.

The guy that responded to me said that the west coast region received all Oak Wood. Your by the Great Lakes so maybe they shipped a different wood your way.

There are many species of Oak. I would want to know which one it was. Some produce great flavor for smoking and some are just OK. Water Oak makes good firewood but poor smoking wood.

I went to the N. Richlands Hills Sams in Texas and sent an email asking about the type of wood, here is the answer.

James 09:42 PM
Hi Marvin, yes all the wood in the hardwood pack at Sam’s club consist of hardwoods. In that region it is mostly oak, maple hickory and some cherry
Different variations of those species per bundle

Back