THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

El_Capitan

Good day all. I wanted to share how I put a cold smoker on the Performer. If you have any ideas to improve it please let me know. I haven't used it yet, but this weekend is going to be a good one!

First off I ordered the following from Amazon. I didn't want to have to order from a lot of places. I used all 1/2 inch pipe. Here is a list of the parts I used.

1 step drill bit by Neiko
1 square head solid plug.
1 90 degree elbow
1 45 degree street elbow
1 5 inch stainless steel nipple
1 stainless steel tee
1 brass compression fitting npt 1/2 to compression 1/4 inch OD
1 brass compression fitting npt 1/2 inch to compression 1/2 inch
1 copper hard drawn tubing 1/4 OD (1 foot)
1 fish airpump with adjustable flow
1 25 foot section of fish pump air tubing. (it's more than you'll need)

I purchased a cocktail shaker from Target.

1 cocktail shaker

I purchased 4 washers from Lowes

3 stainless steel washers that will fit over the npt 45 degree street elbow
1 stainless steel washer that fit over the 1/2 inch compression fitting, and inside the top cap of the cocktail shaker. I took the actual pieces into Lowes to get the best fit.

First I attached the 45 degree street elbow, the 5 inch nipple, and the stainless steel tee together. Using 2 wrenches, 1 on the 45 degree street elbow and 1 on the tee I tightened them together making sure they are aligned. You can see in the image those two parts put together on the left side of the tee.
csupper.jpg

Next I drilled out the compression fitting that is npt 1/2 to compression 1/4 with a 1/4 drill bit so that the 1/4 OD copper pipe will go through the fitting. Then I put the compression fitting on the right side of the Tee as seen in the picture above. Next I put the copper pipe into the compression fitting and advanced it about 1/4inch past the lower hole in the tee. You can visualize this by watching the pipe go through. I then tightened down the compression fitting on the copper pipe. Please note once you tighten this down you can't change the distance.

Next, I know this isn't normal plumbing procedure, I used an angle grinder to cut the copper pipe. If you don't you'll have about 9 inches off excess copper pipe off the end.
cscompfitting.jpg

Using the angle grinder I beveled the copper pipe so the air tubing will slide on easier.
beveled.jpg

I then put the compression fitting 1/2 npt x 1/2 compression and screwed it into the tee. I then took the top cap of the cocktail shaker and drilled a hole in the center using the step bit until it would fit on the 1/2 compression side. It's easy to find the center if you turn the cap over and you'll notice the grove makes in the metal where it was made. It looks like rings on a tree. Aim for the center one. I then used 1 stainless steel washer on the inside of the cap so I could get a tight fitting when put all together.
cscap.jpg

I then drilled 3 holes into the bottom of the cocktail shaker and 2 on the side. The 2 on the side are to light the wood chips.
3holesbottom.jpg

I then drilled a hole in my weber using the step bit. You'll notice there is a spot on the kettle that the self cleaning blades don't go. That is where I drilled the hole. This way the self cleaning blades can still do their cleaning unobstructed.
cshole.jpg

This is how the end will go through the grill. The brass plug is used so I can control airflow when smoking and so that I can shut it down after grilling.
insidelayout.jpg

I was going to drill it slightly higher so that the cold smoker would be completely level when I was finished, but I was concerned the coal grate would rest on the 90 degree elbow. I used a 90 degree elbow opposed to another 45 degree elbow because I didn't want grease dripping down into the hole when I do briskets etc. I was going to put in on the other side of the grill, under the table, but I wasn't sure how hot it would get and I didn't want to mess up the table, wires, or fuel line. When I did a brisket once over the big bunson burner that lights the coals it became clogged with grease and was a real pain to clean the grease out and get it working again. Note 1 big stainless steel washer on the inside. This is to help with spacing and also so the smoker gets a bigger bite on the kettle to help prevent bending etc.
undergrill.jpg

The outside has 2 stainless steel washers for the same reasons. This is also how it looks on the outside minus the attached fish pump.
csfinished.jpg

For storage I put a cork on the beveled copper pipe.
cork.jpg

The cover fits a bit tight, but it fits. If I was more concerned I would use a 4 inch nipple.
cover.jpg

This is my baby all set up.
finished.jpg

I am concerned that with the weight of the chips and heat the cocktail shaker will fall off. I hope it doesn't, but I did buy 2 screws in advnace to put in the lid in case it does.

Attachments

Back