Cleaning a non-stick skillet

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I have a set of ceramic coated non-stick pans and and I love them. Food usually just slides right off them. Until today. I was browning some stew meat and what stuck to the skillet won't come off. The recipe said to "deglaze" with some red wine. Nope.

I'd really like to avoid major abrasive cleaners because once you have scratches they're not no-stick any more. What are my options?

52640782419_389c04fa10_c.jpg
[/url]skillet by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

I've had that happen with one of my pans. I took an sos pad to it, then treated it like cast iron. Heated it on the stove and rubbed the inside down with oil a couple of times.
It helped for awhile, but was never as good as new.

Google says to boil water, vinegar and baking soda for 5 minutes. I'm gonna give that a try.

My suggestion is to add some hot water to the pan and then some Dawn dish washing liquid and allow to soak overnight. You could heat it more and let it simmer while. Then scrub it out with a plastic brush.

We had an issue with our Green Pan. I found this after the fact:
Fill the pan halfway with water and bring it to a near boil for about 2 minutes. Pour out the water and place the pan on a sturdy surface such as a wooden cutting board. Carefully use a restoring sponge (melamine/magic eraser) on the warm surface. This should do the trick.

Despite what non-stick stuff says on the label, all of it has a limited life span. Well seasoned CI and enameled surfaces as well as uncoated SS are the only solution if you want your cookware to last.

Try Purple Power, available are Walmart, usually found in the automotive section. Spray on, let sit a minute, use sponge to clean

I have an enameled CI dutch oven that looks 128 times worse than that. I will have to check out that Le Creuset link sometime when I'm extremely bored.

Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray!!
Spray it fully and let it sit for a while.
I used this on a few absolutely nasty crusty cookers last year and it is a game changer!!

Don't have any great recommendations regarding non-stick cleaning other than let some water simmer for a bit while scrubbing with nylon brush or something. I've got a couple cast iron (enameled and plain), SS pans and non-stick. Non-stick get used the most at home other than things that need really high heat.

I gave up on fancy expensive non-stick a long time ago. Found it made me reluctant to throw them out when the non-stick wore off. Now I get the cheapest 12" pans I can find that have a bit of heft to them. Check your local Marshalls, Ross, Home Goods etc. They always have tons of non-stick type pans for like $10-15. I buy 2-3 at a time and just toss or put to other use the old ones once the coating wears off. I keep 2 in the rotation and get about a year out of them. Find I have a much easier time tossing them when they are cheap and justify it by savings on time / cleaning supplies vs. trying to save a $100 Calphalon pan.

The ninja series is really nice if you decide you have to replace it. I don't know how well the 10 year warranty will work, but if I get only 5 years out of the pan I'd be thrilled.

Dawn Platinum Powerwash Dish Spray!!
Spray it fully and let it sit for a while.
I used this on a few absolutely nasty crusty cookers last year and it is a game changer!!

This works very well. Also you could try oven cleaner spray that does not need heat. I use that on sheet pans and other hard cleaning issues.

Well... What did you end up doing?
How did it clean up?

Still a work in progress. Dawn in a hot water soak did nothing. Boiling vinegar, water and baking soda helped a lot. Brushed with a nylon brush. Repeat. Magic Eraser also helped. There's still some stuff stuck, I can feel it with a thumbnail but it won't scratch off. Gonna try solvents next.

52648248096_c727414713_c.jpg
[/url]skillet 2 by Maylar 2007, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back