Cajun Bandit replacement door for the 22" WSM

One Drop

Knows what a fatty is.
After neglecting my WSM for a few months after mostly smoking on my kettle, I did my first cook last weekend using the CB replacement door, with the spring latch.

I did two full racks of spareribs using very good lump charcoal and very dry applewood chunks, filled the basket to about ⅔ full and added ½ of a chimney of lump to the center, minion method. Cold day but the cooker is protected from the wind at the lower vent level.

Total cook time was a bit over 6 hours at a steady 225°F, no wrapping.

Results :

- more consistent temps throughout the cook.
- used less charcoal than before, by an appreciable amount.
- had more vent control as I didn't have to choke the bottom vents down as much as usual- this will be very useful on warmer days when I find I can only crack the bottom vents using lump.
- probably better draught and convention effect as all the air is coming through the bottom vents now, less from the door gaps.

So I'm very happy with the purchase, it really makes the WSM almost fully set and forget.

I also ordered a Hunsaker Vortex basket, will ship Monday. I'm excited to experiment more with using the WSM as a drum smoker and this looks like a way I can cut down on charcoal use and avoid the fat dripping on coals effect which is both dangerous and adds an element to the flavour profile I'm not very happy with (fine for short periods when I'm grilling but not my thing for longer cooks).

It also means I can cook using the racks as well or instead of just hanging while still getting that convection effect speed up the cooks and get nice clean smoke flavour.

I appreciate these drum smokers a lot but am super happy with the versatility of the WSM. they may not be flavour of the moment but man, you can make some great barbecue on these things, and the capacity is pretty amazing if you are creative (I have a hanging rack and a small grill grate I can place place on top of it to get extra grate room).

Good write up- sounds like you found a winner.

I don't know how the versatility of a wsm is greater than that of a drum - they are pretty much the same animal.

They do seem similar but, a WSM is pretty turn-key for any novice to turn out great Que. The smaller size, especially like my 14" WSM is hard to beat for smaller cooks. Plus, when you factor in the ease of purchase/setup/construction/cost, WSM wins again in my book!

That's not to say a Hunsaker doesn't have a place in my stable of smokers too!

Cajun products are pretty awesome for the Webber 22.5. I bought their ss door, extra capacity charcoal ring and ss extension ring to get an extra rack up higher. I just some extra charcoal for the added heat capacity needed for the extra space. You can load that thing up with a lot of food...

Nice write-up, and timely as well: I am thinking about getting both of those products for my 22 WSM.

Question: do you have a link to the directions for creating the spring-latch? I have seen it before, but can't put my hands on it. I like that idea, as opposed to just using the regular latch set-up as instructed by Cajun Bandit.

Nice write-up, and timely as well: I am thinking about getting both of those products for my 22 WSM.

Question: do you have a link to the directions for creating the spring-latch? I have seen it before, but can't put my hands on it. I like that idea, as opposed to just using the regular latch set-up as instructed by Cajun Bandit.

This is the exact latch that came with my Cajun Bandit door. Hope this helps.
https://www.amazon.com/Southco-62-30-15-Lift-Compression-Forward/dp/B076XZSLLN

Loved the SS door when I had my WSM. I got the gaskets and installed them to the inside of the door.

Check out the mods link in my signature for all I did to mine.

Loved the SS door when I had my WSM. I got the gaskets and installed them to the inside of the door.

Check out the mods link in my signature for all I did to mine.

Nice, I've attached the charcoal ring to the grate with an additional grade placed crossways as well, makes setup and cleanup much easier and keeps charcoal from falling through (I use lump mostly).

I will get around to adding a grommet for probes one day, for now they go through the top vent holes as I have a nook above the lid where I put my Smoke.

I'm on the fence about adding a hinge, maybe you guys can help me make a decision. On the one hand I like the convenience, though I have a place on my deck where I can place the lid without worry. I just have this feeling that putting the lid down straight and replacing it without tipping it keeps more heat in than tipping it up on the wings. I do as much cold weather smoking as warm and need all the help I can get to keep temps up or to allow them to climb back up.

The spring latch came with the door and works great once you adjust it. When I look at the closed door from the inside of the cooker there are absolutely no gaps, the seal is perfect without the need for a gasket. When I took the door off after the cook there was not a drop of smoke or grease outside the outline of the door opening, so I know there was zero leakage.

Those Killagrills look like super high quality, the half grill looks like a winner because I'm always looking for more capacity. But I think I will eventually get a Hovergrill to add a grate in between the two existing ones to make lots of ribs at once, I'm not crazy about rib racks. It will also add capacity to the kettle, which I run out of pretty quick sometimes.

I tried a cold weather mod that gave me a bump of about 50° in below freezing temps, making a sleeve for the drum part out of a roll nomex flexible sheeting designed to reflect heat from a radiator out into a room instead of to the wall. I used the adhesive backing to double it up and hold the sleeve together. It worked great but the plastic backing melted a bit above the bottoms vents from the rising heat, so it's back to the drawing board, to find a better material. I might have to sporing for a welders blanket or an insulating cover I've seen somewhere but forgotten the details of - we'll see how the Vortex basket works - I might just end up using it without a water pan like a drum smoker in the winter instead of struggling to insulate it.

I did also consider the aftermarket door made by Lavalock, which looks pretty amazing for the price. But I didn't want to have to buy a new cover to fit over it, and I'm just not crazy about the look of it, though in black it's elegant enough.

https://bbqsmokermods.com/lavalockr...-smokey-mountain-or-55-gallon-uds-smoker.html

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions, I'm careful about trying new things just for their own sake and I have to have a good idea of what i want to achieve and a real reason for it before I try something. I've been steered well before by collective expertise here long before I recently joined the site!

I'm on the fence about adding a hinge, maybe you guys can help me make a decision. On the one hand I like the convenience, though I have a place on my deck where I can place the lid without worry. I just have this feeling that putting the lid down straight and replacing it without tipping it keeps more heat in than tipping it up on the wings. I do as much cold weather smoking as warm and need all the help I can get to keep temps up or to allow them to climb back up.

I tried a cold weather mod that gave me a bump of about 50° in below freezing temps, making a sleeve for the drum part out of a roll nomex flexible sheeting designed to reflect heat from a radiator out into a room instead of to the wall. I used the adhesive backing to double it up and hold the sleeve together. It worked great but the plastic backing melted a bit above the bottoms vents from the rising heat, so it's back to the drawing board, to find a better material. I might have to sporing for a welders blanket or an insulating cover I've seen somewhere but forgotten the details of - we'll see how the Vortex basket works - I might just end up using it without a water pan like a drum smoker in the winter instead of struggling to insulate it.

I have to admit, I'm in Texas, and we probably don't have the temps y'all do in the Alps. That just a guess, but I think I am right. :biggrin1:

I really don't think it's going to matter much as far as the lid goes. Once you open it, heat rises. The hinge was convenient for me as I didn't have a place to put it. I will say that it was easier on my old back to pivot it up, do what I needed to do, then pivot it back down, than to pick it up, turn and put it somewhere, do what I needed to do, bend over to pick it up, and put it back. Your mileage may vary.

As for the blanket, again, SoTex, Alps, yeah, not sure they compare. I'd avoid a welder's blanket. I bought one, used it once, got fiberglass in my hands, worried about the it getting in the food, never used it again. Maybe some insulation for a water heater?

I have to admit, I'm in Texas, and we probably don't have the temps y'all do in the Alps. That just a guess, but I think I am right. :biggrin1:

I really don't think it's going to matter much as far as the lid goes. Once you open it, heat rises. The hinge was convenient for me as I didn't have a place to put it. I will say that it was easier on my old back to pivot it up, do what I needed to do, then pivot it back down, than to pick it up, turn and put it somewhere, do what I needed to do, bend over to pick it up, and put it back. Your mileage may vary.

As for the blanket, again, SoTex, Alps, yeah, not sure they compare. I'd avoid a welder's blanket. I bought one, used it once, got fiberglass in my hands, worried about the it getting in the food, never used it again. Maybe some insulation for a water heater?

Temperatures range from well below zero to upper nineties but are usually a bit more temperate, hovering around the thirties in winter, but the sun is strong up here which can make a huge difference.

Thanks for the tip about the welders blanket, didn't know they had exposed fibreglass. I might have to build a three-sided windbreak/insulator instead. I did see that someone makes a pre-cut insulating cover (I can't remember who it was) but it looked very clumsy and not very convenient.

I'll wait on the hinge for now, next mod will be installing a grommet for probe wires, as mine is an older version without one.

Almost all smokers have minor leaks. As long as you follow the directions, you should be fine. They mention cutting a little bit, testing the fit, cut more if needed. Even the grommets leak a little...

Almost all smokers have minor leaks. As long as you follow the directions, you should be fine. They mention cutting a little bit, testing the fit, cut more if needed. Even the grommets leak a little...

Cool, but I'm not going to risk it. I don't understand the supposed problem with putting a grommet below the top grill, though.

There is no problem with grommets. As they age, they dry out, it but are cheap to replace. You are cutting into your WSM either way. All depends on the look you want. Do it the way that makes you happy. Just offering alternatives.

:)

There is no problem with grommets. As they age, they dry out, it but are cheap to replace. You are cutting into your WSM either way. All depends on the look you want. Do it the way that makes you happy. Just offering alternatives.

:)

Gotcha, I was just referring to the supposed problem with lifting the top grate in the link you posted.

Back