Bbq Brisket For A Smokin' Rosh Hashanah

Jeeez,

Whats with the jewish BBQ up here????????

Hey Matt....Time to open a place in Woodmere selling kosher BBQ to the blackhats. Off on Saturdays to boot!!!!!

Anything's possible...

I know a guy who owns a company in Williamsburg, Brooklyn who is the provider of all the pastrami's, hot dogs and other meats to many of the big kosher deli's in the five boro's and parts of LI...

He's also a new backyard BBQ'er and holds to kosher laws so pork is out... He often asks me a lot of questions about BBQ.. He's been picking my brain to try to work with a few of deli's to see if they would be interested in kosher BBQ nights or just offering some kosher BBQ on the menu... A famous deli in Rego Park, Queens had expressed some initial interest.

Not sure where it will go, but he said he would keep me posted. I would not be cooking but more than likely just providing advice to him on meat prep and seasonings and his place in Williamsburg would do the cooking to be provided to the delis.

That was pretty interesting. Thanks for a good read! I found this line particularly fascinating:

"Burnt ends, it must be said, occupy a special place in the heart of the Jewish barbecuer. "With all that fat and smoke," said Fischel, "you can approach the depth of pork."

I'd never thought in terms of "depth" of pork versus beef, but that sentence instantly resonated with me. Pretty cool.

Kosher and bbq definately dont go hand in hand, but us heeb's love our brisket. I am competing as Kosher Que Cooker next month. working on a logo of a pig wearing a yamulka. Wife thinks its sacreligious, i think its funny...

If I offend any of my tribe members, so be it, i will ask for forgiveness at Yom Kippur

I certainly didn’t envision this when I started this thread.

So to take a step back towards being on topic …

KCBS states that their “goal is to have barbecue recognized as America's Cuisine.”

America is the melting pot of the world, and I thought it was interesting that barbecue was being brought into a Jewish tradition.

If the love of barbecue is to be shared by everyone, I am sure that we will see many adaptations and uses of barbecue that although not traditional in the sense of barbecue, will meld the tradition of barbecue with the tradition of different ethnic and religious traditions.

For those in the business of barbecue, it certainly is a non-traditional market to be tapped, and there probably are others as well.

Kosher Q at the commercial level is cost prohibitive. The cost of Kosher meat would almost double the retail cost of non-Kosher BBQ. You would also need to locate the joint in a community that had a big enough population, and sufficient interest to support the place, greatly limiting the possible locations. I think it would be a novelty at best. On the other hand, as pointed out in the article, at least one of the people featured had grown-up in a Kosher home, and still managed to stoke his BBQ habit, substituting Kosher meat.

BrooklynQ said:
A friend of mine gre up in the orthodox section of St. Lou. She said on Saturday they would actually tie a rope around the neighborhood to keep the gentiles out.

I think the rope you are referring to is an eruv. It's not designed to keep people out, but is to establish the boarders of a community in which people can carry things on the Sabbath that they would other wise be precluded from carrying.

RichardF said:
The cost of Kosher meat..
Man you hit on something there. Chicken's not too bad but brisket? Ouch! I did a kosher bbq for some friends once and they insisted I do a brisket for them. It cost over 10 bucks a pound! Talk about about sweating out a cook, how'd you like to screw up over 100 bucks worth of meat in one shot? :shock:
Fortunately, it was one of my better efforts and everyone was real happy.

besides the cost of Kosher meat, dont forget that you need to have regular "inspections" by a member of the Kosher certifying agency. I had a small candy business and looked at going Kosher but the cost of these visits outweighed the $ i thought i could make by being kosher

oy vei...

btw my softball team was the Kosher Connection. all jews, no wonder we didnt win many games.

double plays were rosen to goldfarb to schwartz....

MilitantSquatter said:
Anything's possible...

I know a guy who owns a company in Williamsburg, Brooklyn who is the provider of all the pastrami's, hot dogs and other meats to many of the big kosher deli's in the five boro's and parts of LI...

I think I know the place you're talking about-- there are a few 'processors' in Williamsburg, but I was just checking out a place on N. 6th (I think) and was planning to talk w/ them about a project....would you be willing to pm me a name of someone to talk with? Thanks, Vinny.....

I loves me some kosher 'que.....I might have to have one of my pits "koshered" so that I can cook for the 'true jews'....

backyardchef said:
I loves me some kosher 'que.....I might have to have one of my pits "koshered" so that I can cook for the 'true jews'....

Is that like restoring the hymen?

Arlin_MacRae said:
Kosher...beer? Tell me there's no such thing!!

Never heard of He'brew? Here's a pic so you don't think I'm making this stuff up...:grin:

Back