THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gfh

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Gaylon
We went to Costco last week in Huntsville (AL) and saw an LEM "Maxvac Pro Chamber Vacuum Sealer" for $649.99. We've been looking to upgrade to something like a Vacmaster VP215 or VP230, which cost a bit more. The LEM spec wise is comparable to the VP215 which is $999.

Anybody have any hands on experience with this LEM? I know that either Vacmaster will be a good machine, but the price is appealing on the LEM. My wife has thoughtfully pointed out that when my cheap gland swells up and takes over I usually regret it later.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Or even snarky comments - those are usually funny.

The reviews on Amazon are mixed, but limited

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B07ZZJY83X

Costco has a great return policy, so there’s that.

I’ve had one of these for a couple years now, and it’s worked quite well

https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preserve/food-sealer/vacuum-sealers/chamber-vacuum-sealer/1117075.html#start=1

Vacmaster is the gold standard in chamber vacs it seems, so maybe it’s worth coughing up a little extra money if you want to remove any doubt. If I had to guess, many of the chamber vacs share components made in the same factories, if not entirely assembled in the same factories.

I have the Costco LEM. For my use I could not be happier. I bought a table and leave this setup so I use all the time. Prior sealer was a commercial Cabelas which was OK but struggled with moisture. The only downside is size. I would be great if I could vac seal a complete brisket. Size is no different than the Vacmaster though.
If your like me and are a backyard cook & sausage maker I say save the money and buy from Costco.
Pat

• Thanks
Reactions: gfh
I appreciate the info. The convenience of picking the LEM up locally and the Costco return policy is looking pretty good right now. The big attraction of the vacmaster is reputation and long term maintainability. I think I'll be able to get parts for the vacmaster in 10 years.

We could buy a couple of lifetimes of bags for the LEM with the price delta though.

I'll report back on which way we go. We're not in a big hurry.

We have the Costco LEM and purchased one for our daughter as well who lives in Alaska. It works great for our uses and our daughter has used hers for several years now processing fish, crab, deer, moose, etc with no issues. As stated previously, you are limited a bit with the size that you can seal.

• Thanks
Reactions: gfh
All good info to have, and thanks to e everyone that replied. As best I can tell the next jump up in size to a 12" seal bar is the VP230, which is about $1,300 delivered. You gotta really want that bigger bar to go double on the price.

The ol' ball and chain (who obviously doesn't read this) is talking about going to Costco this afternoon. We may come back with the LEM. Worst case if we hate it it for some reason it takes another ride back later.

Back