Advice

Smokin Ribs

is one Smokin' Farker
Been smoking and grilling in backyard for over 20 years. Going to do a cookoff at local bacon festival. I dont inject pork butts or usually sauce my ribs either but i know the "judges" like that kind of stuff. That being said should i submit my traditional ribs and butt or should i do the injection and butter and brown sugar wrap for ribs?
For injection; does anyone have a good one to share?

Thoughts please!

Remember, it most competitions judges only get one bite so you need to pack a ton of flavor in that one bite. You are not cooking for your family in the backyard.

I am a certified BBQ judge. I was at first curious and later saddened by certain trends that took place on the circuit. Example-years ago cinnamon became popular in rubs and sauces. As a judge (even though I may not personally like it) I have to be objective as to appearance, taste and texture. If the entry was well cooked and balanced it scored well. Problem was, once a cinnamon infused entry wins-word gest out and now everyone wants to use use it on their entry cuz they think cinnamon is what the judges like.

That's how I feel about sauces and injections. I personally don't feel either produce a winner per se. Top quality meat, properly seasoned and expertly cooked will win every time. You do you my friend!

Who are the judges? Are they certified or general public?

The first thing to remember is that what you like is not important in a competition. It is what the judges like that matters.

Back