A few pics from this weekend's cook

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Big C
Hey y'all. We had a few friends/family over this weekend. I wanted to cook, but my sinuses were killing me, so I didn't really want to fire up the offset and suck up smoke for 8 hours. So, I figured I would use the Old Smokey and do a little grilling. Besides, I have kind of fallen in love with indirect grilled ribs lately. Thought I would share the couple of pictures I remembered to take. :mrgreen:

Here we have a rack of spares in progress, and next to it are...well, I don't really have a name for them. I call them "deer balls" :laugh:. I took 1st Place Wild Game in a local cookoff several years back, and have kept them in my repertoire ever since.

VwimBK8h.jpg

Here is a cross section of the finished ribs...after bringing them inside, I stepped back out to check on the grill and when I came back, all but three had been claimed. I said the food would be done at 4, but it took until 5, so people were getting a bit ornery. What can I say...can't rush these things. :mrgreen:

B26CLKeh.jpg

And finally, I did a whole mess of wings, and barely remembered to take a pic of them before they too were devoured.

R8bCEhwh.jpg

And of course the recipes/specifics for any curious brethren:

Deer Balls:

Squish the following up with yer hands:

1lb ground venison/bacon burger
1 egg
1/4 cup finely diced white onion
Couple of tablespoons of unseasoned bread crumbs
Uncle Chris' Steak Seasoning
Black Pepper
Dash of ketchup
Dash of Worcestershire

Form these into balls slightly larger than a golf ball. In the middle of each one, put a cube of pepper jack cheese. Wrap it up in half a slice of bacon (the good, center-cut kind), and hold it all together with a toothpick. Hit the outside of it with a good amount of rub (I used SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama).

When they are almost done, brush on a little bbq sauce. I make my own Dr. Pepper Sauce, but it's honestly pretty run-of-the-mill so no point in sharing it, really. Back when I won that cookoff, I sauced with a bourbon/sour cherry sauce that I honestly can't remember how to make anymore.

Wings:

Nothing special here, really. Dry brined them overnight in a mixture of kosher salt, Bolner's Fiesta Brand Chicken Rub, and SuckleBusters Clucker Dust. When they were done, sauced them with a mixture of butter, Louisiana hot sauce, garlic powder, and a little more Clucker Dust.

Ribs:

Rubbed them the night before in a mixture of Bolner's Fiesta Brand Pork Rub, SuckleBusters Hoochie Mama, kosher salt, paprika, and fresh cracked black pepper. Grilled for 1.5 hours nekkid, flipping every 20ish minutes or so, then another hour wrapped in foil with a little beer in it. Unwrapped and sauced for a final 15 minutes.

All the above were indirect grilled with Kingsford Professional, mesquite chunks, and apple chips.

Thanks for looking!

That looks outstanding! I think I'm going to have to do a ground beef or ground pork version of your deer balls. I've got a serious craving now

That's 3 good choices all in a row. Great job. Going to try and deer balls (but I have to say I"m a jalepeno and cheese summer sausage kind of guy) and the wings. I make wings a lot and I love them - a new twist on them might be just the ticket.

I love the Old Smokey. I have always said for what they cost, there is not better all around work horse for the money than an old smokey!! There are better pits, but not for 60 dollars. Still my go to chicken cooker. The lid and charcoal grate work great on a UDS too!

I love the Old Smokey. I have always said for what they cost, there is not better all around work horse for the money than an old smokey!! There are better pits, but not for 60 dollars. Still my go to chicken cooker. The lid and charcoal grate work great on a UDS too!

I'll drink to that! Love my Old Smokey. :mrgreen:

Back