ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Roaster
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Chicken legs

My son wants chicken legs tommorrow. What do i put on them?

Roaster
Roaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
bowhnter
is Blowin Smoke!

I just did some with a little rub, and some stand alone. I actually like the rub better, but the ones by themselves were pretty good too.

Primo Oval XL
Weber 18" One Touch
The Fastest Thermapen
bowhnter is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 07:56 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

marinade them overnight in some italian dressing then use any rub u like...

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
marinade them overnight in some italian dressing then use any rub u like...

Of all the great tips I've seen you give time after time, I'm shocked that you'd put something in italian dressing more than a couple of hours. Acid "cooks" protein. Acid cooked protein placed in a pit overcooks protein. Result, inside is done, outside is overdone. Legs and thighs are more forgiving, but certainly don't try this with breast meat.

You still da man, Poobah!!

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy
Of all the great tips I've seen you give time after time, I'm shocked that you'd put something in italian dressing more than a couple of hours. Acid "cooks" protein. Acid cooked protein placed in a pit overcooks protein. Result, inside is done, outside is overdone. Legs and thighs are more forgiving, but certainly don't try this with breast meat.

Todd, an awful lot of folks do the overnight thing with Italian dressing. I do it often with excellent results. Always trying to give credit where it is due...back in 2000 or so I visited with a dude named Jumpin' Jim that was kind enough to share his take on his version of this method on another Q forum. I added a clarification of the sauce time which is in red, otherwise everything is in Jim's words.

For contests I only cook thighs and I cook 16 of them. I marinade them in Paul Newman's Own (Olive Oil and Vinegar) 4-8 at a time in a heavy zip lock bag depending on the size of the thighs. I start them marinating at approx. 4 pm on Friday. I have used various rubs but what I really like these days is Head Country (Ponca City, OK) tweaked for heat which I get by adding a small amount of Cayenne Pepper. The thighs come out of the marinade at 7:30 sat morning and I lightly and evenly dust them with the rub.

I put them on the smoker and cook them to 180 degrees internal temp in exactly three hours. If I am using the Ole Hickory I use pecan and if I am cooking on Traeger or a Fast Eddy Smokebox I use hickory pellets.
At the three hour mark I test each thigh with a toothpick for tenderness. I put my best 8 in one half size alum pan from Sams Club with one bottle of Head Country Original Sauce. I put the second best 8 in the other pan. I loosely tent the pans with foil and let them woller in the sauce for approx. one hour. (back on the cooker)

Half hour before turn-in I take 8-10 best thighs and put them on Weber Kettle or Cajun Grill indirect with a reasonably cool fire so I won't burn the sauce. I taste one of the worst thighs and make an assessment of how it tastes and if I think that taste can do well. If I need to make adjustments, especially with salt, I do it at this time and then set the seasoning with a light brushing of sauce. For turn-in I pick my best six thighs and put them in the box. No special arrangement because the thighs usually take up most of the room. Just try to have a decent looking box.

This process doesn't always work but it has been very good to me.
If any of you want more specifics please email me directly. I assume most of you are very good cooks and will be able to take this brief process and make it work for you. By the way Paul Newman's is a very good marinade for other meats, especially lamb when combined with Head Country Rub and Head Country Sauce.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 09:10 PM   #6
Plowboy

I used to do something similar. I learned about acid based marinades from a local chef who also competes. Started using other low acid liquids for overnight marinades and italian dressing just for about 1-2 hours. I'm a believer in this. My product is juicier and my comp scores have increased as well.

Italian dressing overnight isn't going to ruin chicken. I admit that I've done it for years.

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler

Unread 01-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Rockaway BeachBQ
Full Fledged Farker

walkerswood jerk seasoning is great on legs as well.

Spicewine Custom Medium Large (Thank You Sawdustguy)
Primo Oval (and BBQ Guru for when I need a nap)
ECBrinkmann Vertical Smoker w/mod charcoal pan and thermometer (used mainly for storage)
Meco Aussie Walk-About (AKA the princess grill)
R.I.P.
Klose 20x30 Smoker (sold)
Thermos Square Grill (abandoned at Giants stadium)
Kenmore/Charbroil Gasser got dragged to the curb
Rockaway BeachBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy

Something i guess you still need to learn about The BBQ Brethren. We are avid believers that There is NO ONE WAY. Your techique works well for you. Great.. But dont shoot down someone elses. If you feel the need to discuss this further, take it PM.

The overnight italian dressing marinade has been used by many sucessfully for years. If the question was a competition question I would answer it differently with brining/marinading, etc, but....

1 - This is Qtalk, NOT Competition. The answer was quick for backyard cooking. Also, he uses a reverse flow cooker, so I figure hes coasting at 225.
2 - He specifically said Legs
3 - Hes cooking for his kid, not judges.

The question was regarding LEGS and thats what the answered addressed.

Legs will easily hold up overnight in italian dressing. Even thighs will to a lesser extent.. but he asked about LEGS. No one said anything about breasts(except you).

Additionally, I use Wishbone for overnight soaks, which is more oil, less acid. Even Newmans(for a marinade) is a little high in vinegar for my tastes. White meat gets a few hours in a different marinade.

Anyway, since i have time now...heres some details.

Put the legs in a bag and add just enuf dressing to coat heavily, but not submerge them.. add a touch of your rub to the marinade,(or some rosemary if u like that stuff)... soak them for about 8-10 hours. Remove them and let drain.. I like to dab them with a paper towel to soak off the excess oil before letting them drain and dry a bit.. then I sprinkle them with the rub.

Cook at 225-250 till 165-170 inside, then raise the heat to 300 to help things get crispy.. or since its for the family, hit the grill for a few minutes. My kids like a crispy char on the outside.

If you want to experiment with high heat techniques, start at 300-350 and treat them like your roasting in the oven. They cook much faster and come out crispier.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 01-27-2007, 11:30 PM   #9
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
Something i guess you still need to learn about The BBQ Brethren. We are avid believers that There is NO ONE WAY. Your techique works well for you. Great.. But dont shoot down someone elses. If you feel the need to discuss this further, take it PM.

The overnight italian dressing marinade has been used by many sucessfully for years. If the question was a competition question I would answer it differently with brining/marinading, etc, but....

1 - This is Qtalk, NOT Competition. The answer was quick for backyard cooking. Also, he uses a reverse flow cooker, so I figure hes coasting at 225.
2 - He specifically said Legs
3 - Hes cooking for his kid, not judges.

The question was regarding LEGS and thats what the answered addressed.

Legs will easily hold up overnight in italian dressing. Even thighs will to a lesser extent.. but he asked about LEGS. No one said anything about breasts(except you).

Additionally, I use Wishbone for overnight soaks, which is more oil, less acid. Even Newmans(for a marinade) is a little high in vinegar for my tastes. White meat gets a few hours in a different marinade.
LOL, I figured I had this coming, Phil.

I know it was about legs. Yes I brought up boobs, but I was still addressing legs, even though I did say they are more forgiving.

I also understood that this was about backyard. I only mentioned comp as my own proof for myself.

You are right that the dressing with higher oil is going to help, too.

I wasn't trying to bust your balls, Phil. Was a poor attempt to be cheeky. I CERTAINLY know that there's more than one way to Q.

Smoke on.

Unread 01-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #10
thirdeye

Downloads: 2

Hey Phil,

Those are some good pointers especially about adding some herbs (I like sliced garlic in them too)...Mrs thirdeye mostly buys the Lite Italian dressing so I just add oil to it when using as a marinade.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
BBQchef33

i use either wishbone italian, or wishbone country italian..(both low in vinegar.. you can tell when they seperate). The country italian is very low acid and also a little lighter. if I am not using a traditional BBQ type rub, I like to add additional oregano, garlic and a rosemary sprig and, then go more savory on the seasonings. Needless to say, when done like this, i dont use BBQ sauce, but brush them with some dressing and lemon juice at the very end.

on edit:
oh.. forgot.. theres always a place for some franks red hot in any chicken marinade, or in the final brushing sauce.. :)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM   #12
Roaster
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks to all your replys. Did some with the italin dressing. My son went to the pantry and mixed his own rub. had a little to much heat for dad. I like mine sweet. But it was very good. Again thanks for the replys.

http://www.imagecave.com/albums.asp?album=January
Roaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-28-2007, 08:37 PM   #13
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaster
Thanks to all your replys. Did some with the italin dressing. My son went to the pantry and mixed his own rub. had a little to much heat for dad. I like mine sweet. But it was very good. Again thanks for the replys.

http://www.imagecave.com/albums.asp?album=January
That's pretty cool that he kinda did his own thing.

Unread 01-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Oldbob
is One Chatty Farker

Great Post !!! VERY informative,Cant wait to try some chicken done this way!!!
Weber Gasser Genesis Silver A
Pit Barrel Cooker
Maverick ET-732
VietNam Veteran US Navy
May you Sleep in Peace always...and Please....Thank a Veteran for That Privilege!!
Oldbob is offline   Reply With Quote