The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
JoeyP130
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First time smoker!!!

Hello all. First timer here. Hoping for some advice help---

My wife gave me an early Father's Day gift this weekend.

A Brinkmann Vertical Charcoal Smoker from Walmart--like 60 bucks.

I used it today and had several problems after I cured it last night. I am hoping for some advice/help info please--

1. Smoker temp--the small book said I need to keep the heat at least at 250F. Wow. That was next to impossible! There doesn't seem to be an easy way to feed charcoal/wood because all the ash stays in the big charcaol bowl. I had to put a grate over it and very carefully dump it to keep the coals but dump all the ash to be able to add more charcoal.

2. Should I drill holes in the bowl so the ash will fall to the bottom?

3. How good is this smoker really for a newcomer? I have plenty of experience grill with charcoal--

4. Is the general rule of thumb about an hour per pound?

Thanks all. Great site and great info! Looks like I will be here awhile reading!

JoeyP
JoeyP130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #2
jgh1204
Babbling Farker

Joey, I have seen that smoker at Walmart. If you are not getting above 250 in that thing, then you probably have poor air circulation.

However, 225 to 250 is ideal for bbq, either brisket pork or ribs. So you may not have a problem. As for having to dump to add more charcoal, you are probably going to have to live with that.

Make sure you have a chimney of hot coals going when you make the switch.

PS, For all of us bandera owners, step one after curing it is throwing away the charcoal grate it came with.

Unread 06-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #3
icemn62
Babbling Farker

Put a grate over the charcoal bowl. The ash will fall thru, and the lit coals will continue to burn. You have a good smoker to learn with, it is the tool I learned the craft. after a few cooks you will be turning out some great quality Que. I always figure about 1.5 hours per pound.

GOTO cattle call and give yourself an intro. We don't bite, but we will give you lots of good information.

I AM LOVING THE SMOKE

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
icemn62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
JoeyP130
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemn62
Put a grate over the charcoal bowl. The ash will fall thru, and the lit coals will continue to burn. You have a good smoker to learn with, it is the tool I learned the craft. after a few cooks you will be turning out some great quality Que. I always figure about 1.5 hours per pound.

GOTO cattle call and give yourself an intro. We don't bite, but we will give you lots of good information.

Thanks all for the advice.

Icemn62--I really don't understand this? Where do I put the charcoal then? on top of the grate/bowl? If I fill to bowl all the way over the top, it almost reaches the bottom of the water bowl.
--I will take your advice the a go to cattlecall tonight for the intro--

Thanks
Joeyp
JoeyP130 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The problem with that type of smoker is air flow. It can be overcome with some mods. I (and a lot of others here) used one of those for quite a while and turned out some good Q.

Unread 06-10-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyP130
Thanks all for the advice.

Icemn62--I really don't understand this? Where do I put the charcoal then? on top of the grate/bowl? If I fill to bowl all the way over the top, it almost reaches the bottom of the water bowl.
--I will take your advice the a go to cattlecall tonight for the intro--

Thanks
Joeyp
Joey, with a little looking, you should be able to find a round grate that will fit inside the charcoal pan but not go clear to the bottom of it leaving an ash space beneath the burning coals.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote