喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-25-2006, 07:57 PM   #1
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Dales Marinade

Anybody try this stuff? It's been around forever, can't help form thinking it must be decent, I've just never got around to trying it.

http://www.dalesseasoning.com/
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
qman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samichlaus
Anybody try this stuff? It's been around forever, can't help form thinking it must be decent, I've just never got around to trying it.

http://www.dalesseasoning.com/
Yes, I used to use all the time. I don't know why I stopped.
Be careful with it. It is very salty, and has a fair amount of MSG in it. It is basically soy sauce with sugar, MSG, ginger and paprika added.

It does make a good base for marinades and glazes. One of my favorite Bourbon steak formulas is 2 parts Dales, one part good bourbon, a little extra brown sugar. Marinate the steak an hour or so at room temp, then give it the BBQJoe cooking treatment.

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:38 PM   #3
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Um... search?

<just kidding>

Here's one

Main ingredient, soy sauce. Salt mod. I did a brisket marinade for 24 hours. smoke ring nearly through and through

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7945

Statistical Anomalies render some statistics meaningless. +/- 3 standard deviations

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Imagine Soy sauce, reduced by half then used to degalze its own pan, then salt added.

Real potent, use sparingly, and dont soak anything too long in it. Stay away if you or anyone your feeding is sensetive to MSG cause it'll kick their ass!

I add a little apple juice to it and mariande super thin sliced eye round then cook in the vertical at about 175-200 till its jerky.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2006, 09:46 PM   #5
JohnMcD348
is One Chatty Farker

I use it all the time when I'm grilling porkchops. It's great to marinade and then grill with. Never really used it as a base before. WHat Ideas do you guys have for it?

We sleep peaceful in our beds because Rough Men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm.......G. Orwell

Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe, The Famous StudeDera, Weber Smokey Joe Gold and Platinum, Brinkman Professional Grill, Brinkman ECB and 2 Weber Smoky Mountians
JohnMcD348 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2006, 10:48 PM   #6
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Billinois gave me a bottle once but I don't know WTF happened to it. Not sure if I even used it. You can that stuff by the gallon in the southern states really cheap.

Unread 05-26-2006, 12:50 AM   #7
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Not a big fan. A lot of people around here swear by it, and I guess I have had too many pieces of meat that have been soaked in it! If I were to use it, it would be very, very sparingly, and combined with something to help offset the strong taste. I have enjoyed a steak that was marinated in Coke, with a little Dale's, as the two flavors did complemente each other. Also, the Coke doubles as a tenderizer.
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2006, 12:58 AM   #8
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
I have enjoyed a steak that was marinated in Coke, with a little Dale's, as the two flavors did complemente each other. Also, the Coke doubles as a tenderizer.
I love beef and cola (my OL drinks Pepsi so that's what we use) use it on beef for kabobs. Add some mushrooms between the beef and it's heaven on a skewer. For an extra twist, use cherry coke or wild cherry pepsi.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2006, 08:29 AM   #9
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommykendall
Billinois gave me a bottle once but I don't know WTF happened to it. Not sure if I even used it. You can that stuff by the gallon in the southern states really cheap.
So....you're out of Dale's sauce?

I have a jar in the pantry, have not had the opportunity to use it. I bought because I heard of some good results The Brethren had with it.

Has anybody compared it to Yashida sauce?

Seems like it should be similar.

Unread 05-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Neil

I use Dale's all the time but I use it sparingly. I'll add a few drops of Dale's to a TBSP of Yoshida's Gourmet sauce on steaks and chops and sometimes chicken.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #11
Samichlaus
is one Smokin' Farker

I love Yoshida's Gourmet. I always pick up a 1/2 gallon bottle at Costco.
Samichlaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
nmayeux
Babbling Farker

Dat Yoshida's is the BOMB! Its everything that Dale's is not! But like everyone has said, Dale's is a tool, and every tool has its job!
Lang 60 Marie Laveau
WSM 22.5 Asmarelda
BSKD Gretchen
22.5 OTG Samantha
nmayeux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2006, 09:04 AM   #13
BBQchef33

Yoshidas is way different from dales(think its more on the side of teriyaki than soy sauce). It also wont disintergrate a piece of chicken the way the dales will. The yoshidas can be used to marinade OR jsut brush it o n while cooking. I wouldnt dare do that with dales. Just open the bottle of dales and sniff.. it clears your sinuses.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 05-26-2006, 09:22 AM   #14
BBQchef33

Default coke vs. Pepsi.

Im putting this in a seperate post in case we need to split it off.

There was previous talk a few posts up from KC and others using coke and pepsi in the marinades and as tenderizers.

Just FYI's..

the tenderizing agent in the coke products is phosphuric acid. Its present in the full line of coke stuff, all cokes, mountain dew, etc.. I'm not sure if its in the diet coke products, but i wouldnt use that in a marinade anyway to avoid and off tastes.

Anyway. Phosphuric Acid is NOT present in the entire Pepsi line. So using pepsi products will not, to the same effect, have the tenderizing effect the coke product does.

EDIT: Now, before posting this, i just checked a bottle of DIET pepsi and it IS in there, so maybe things have changed. If anyone has a regular pepsi bottle laying around, maybe they can check. But I am 100% positive that it wasnt there in the past... cherry pepsi never worked as good as Dr.pepper for tenderizing. Maybe things have changed and the PA is in Pepsi too now.

This may also be the reason for the "sweeter" taste in pepsi. Its just not as "acid' to the palette. ???

Another thing, for anyone thinking about using it... coke marinades can disintergrate a steak in 3 days.. they go beyond tender.. to beef mush. So dont forget it in the fridge and then find it and say "wow this is gonna be great" then shake it real good before opening the container and finding a science experiment. (not that I've done that or anything ) Briskets hold up much better though.

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Unread 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #15
Kevin

Just happen to have a can of Pepsi sitting right here.
Contains:
Carbonated water
High fructose corn syrup
and/or sugar
caramel color
PHOSPHORIC ACID
caffeine
citric acid
and natural flavors