喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM   #16
Sylvie
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

My site was across from Harry's and I enjoyed watching Harry cook on the mini WSM. It is amazing how he combined his engineering background and great cook skills to pull this off. The timing was essential. He used a small rib rack and the 3 racks of ribs were trimmed to 9 bones each. It fit perfectly. Hats off to him.
BWS Party G2
Two 18.5 inch WSMs, One 22.5 inch WSMs,
one 22.5 inch Blue One Touch Gold Kettle
Hot Pink Thermapen
20 ft custom BBQ trailer
Sylvie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 1

I loved when Harry was explaining to us how he used a beer can chicken holder inverted to create a 3rd mid level grate so he could fit more chicken. That spur of the moment engineering made his rib rack raise a bit further and the lid of the smoker was a little loose, so he used a bungee cord to hold the lid down and 2 KBB briquettes to in between the cord and the lid so that the cord wouldn't burn. This guy is insane...and a genius. We hit the same rib table and he ranked first on the table...2nd overall in ribs. Great to see in-person.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

Competition arsenal:
(1) 22.5 WSM, (2) 18.5 WSMs, So fast it predicts the future Blue Thermapen

Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook

Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter
ViciousGame is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #18
ique
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
Wow! That's impressive!
Yes, but why make it so difficult on yourself.? Maybe he'd win Grand if he just used a couple regular WSMs.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #19
rookiedad
is One Chatty Farker

what's really impressive is that he carried all his other equipment there in the glove compartment of his yaris!
3 WSMs
22" Weber Kettle
Smokey Joe
rookiedad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

If he only knew that a Weber Smokey Joe was 14" instead of the 12" he keeps posting about.

But it's the innerwebs, accuracy or spelling don't matter.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
BaggerBill
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
Yes, but why make it so difficult on yourself.? Maybe he'd win Grand if he just used a couple regular WSMs.
I do agree with you 100%, but the fact that we was able to do it impresses the heck out of me. I wouldn't try it myself.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
My sentiments exactly! It reminds me of the movie Tin Cup when Tin Cup broke all his clubs to finish out with only his 7 iron. When Tin Cup (Kevin Costner) bragged to David Sims (Don Johnson) about finishing out only using his 7 iron, Sims simply asked, "why?"

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #23
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Maybe he should make a run at President in 2016 or at the very least Governor of California, with his approach, maybe we cut could down our government spending...Enough politics, now back to BBQ.

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #24
Rick Hamilton
On the road to being a farker

Interesting but irrelevant. Nothing but a gimmick that any somewhat knowledgeable competition cook could accomplish. So he trims down his meats and has to time when things come off and go into a holding cooler/cambro. What’s next? A 19th place finish using nothing but some wooden matchsticks and an old coffee can? Or is Harry silently stating, by “handicapping” himself with this gear, that he believes himself to be that much better than everyone else he competes against?

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #25
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hamilton View Post
Interesting but irrelevant. Nothing but a gimmick that any somewhat knowledgeable competition cook could accomplish. So he trims down his meats and has to time when things come off and go into a holding cooler/cambro. What’s next? A 19th place finish using nothing but some wooden matchsticks and an old coffee can? Or is Harry silently stating, by “handicapping” himself with this gear, that he believes himself to be that much better than everyone else he competes against?
I think it was explained best by Big Poppa Smokers, who was cooking just a few spaces over from Harry Soo in Lancaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
I was next to Harry...He made a couple of very strong points....he wanted to have fun hewanted to challenge himself and he wanted to point out that comp bbq is sort of out of control

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #26
ShencoSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't know that I would say the comp bbq is "out of control". To me, the fact that everyone has vastly different equipment makes it interesting. There are very few professional "sports" that the common man can step in and play with the big boys every weekend. Harry has just defined the low end of the equipment spectrum and if he can encourage more people to get into comp bbq by proving that you don't need a $12,000 pit, I think that's a good thing.
Weber OTG- Ole Blue
Rotisserie Drum- The Bird Barrel

1752 Barbecue
facebook.com/1752Barbecue
ShencoSmoke is online now   Reply With Quote