喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
glaudds
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Hot and fast or low and slow for a first brisket?

I am having a really hard time deciding which route to go for my first brisket after reading and digesting all the info on this site. The collective experience is staggering!

So, knowing what you all know now, which method would you suggest a noob try and master first? Low and slow, hot and fast, or doesn't matter...just smoke the dang thing!

I'll be smoking on a Vision Kamado using a combo of lump and kingsford competition.
glaudds is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My trend has been at the high side of the low and slow or the low end of the hot and fast...depending on which way you look at it which is 275.

275 seems to be my sweet spot for butt or brisket.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 5

Operate at the temp your cooker likes to ride and pull when the thickest part of the flat probes tender.

Look like I'm learnin' sumthin' up in here? :D

- Earl - My Custom Vertical Offset Smoker by AJ's Custom Cookers (build link)
- Colt - Superior SS-2 w/ DigiQ DXII- Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
- Weber Kettle 22.5 OTG w/ Craycort Cast Iron Grates
- Major - Mini WSM (from SJS)

Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller! (Certificate of Authenticity) / Join the fun in the Throwdowns!
peeps is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
landarc

medium and moderate. Why push the limits?

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
landarc

Okay, here is the real advice. It doesn't really matter, you can get there either way. The important thing, is to choose one, and to stick with the techniques designed for that method of cooking. And, to remember that internal temperature and pit temperature are just aids in getting to the end result.

Low and Slow, Hot and Fast, the key is to cook the meat until it is done, on the cooker. That means probe tender, or until it feels very tender to the touch. Once that is done, then wrap and rest for at least one hour if Low and Slow, and two hours if Hot and Fast.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I'm a half-fast kind of guy

250 - 275, but if you cooker wants to settle at a different temp don't fight it.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
rdstoll
Full Fledged Farker

As a relative rookie myself I would say go with the hot and fast method to start out and then move towards low-and-slow once you get the hang of it. I've done all my smokin' low & slow so far and while I've gotten good product I haven't been totally satisfied with what I've churned out so far and I get the sense that hot 'n fast will give you a good smoke but still juicy and tender end-product.

Also, trying to manage temps for 4-5 hours sure beats trying to manage temps for 9-11 hours!
rdstoll is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
glaudds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
My trend has been at the high side of the low and slow or the low end of the hot and fast...depending on which way you look at it which is 275.

275 seems to be my sweet spot for butt or brisket.
Quote:
medium and moderate. Why push the limits?
Quote:
lol...those weren't choices. You guys just added another wrench in the decision process.

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
CtTradArcher
On the road to being a farker

I was a low and slow guy before I found this site and read up on hot and fast. I have done two briskets using HnF since and they have come out really good.

In fact, I think the last one I did was my best ever. It was an 11 lb'er. Cooked it at 275 - 300. I wrapped in butcher paper at 180 and pulled when probe tender, which turned out to be 210. Total cook time was 6 hours and another hour to rest.

I do notice and others have pointed it out here, that both the stall and probe tender happen at a higher temps than low and slow. Not sure why that is, but good to be aware so you don't get anxious about the temps and pull it too soon.

Large UDS, Small UDS, CG Akorn, NB Bandera, NB Black Diamond, Home Built Offset, Vision Classic Kamado, Green Mountain Daniel Boone, Weber Gasser, Smokey Mountain Cabinet, and several Weber kettles of various sizes.
CtTradArcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #10
Seefyre
Knows what a fatty is.

You should definitely not deprive yourself of the low and slow variety. It will give you great appreciation for the work that goes into great brisket. We all had to pay our dues.

Then leave giving up a full day in the past and enjoy the hot and fast.
Seefyre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
glaudds

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Operate at the temp your cooker likes to ride and pull when the thickest part of the flat probes tender.

Look like I'm learnin' sumthin' up in here? :D

Quote:
Okay, here is the real advice. It doesn't really matter, you can get there either way. The important thing, is to choose one, and to stick with the techniques designed for that method of cooking. And, to remember that internal temperature and pit temperature are just aids in getting to the end result.
Thanks....makes total sense.

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
NickTheGreat
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

250 - 275, but if you cooker wants to settle at a different temp don't fight it.
THIS. My WSM likes to run about 250 but some days with burn a little hotter. Just go with it

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #13
sliding_billy

Quote:

This!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #14
landarc

Quote:

In general, I follow this advice, largely because I am lazy and don't want to fuss with things a lot. But, I believe there is a difference between meats cooked at 225F, and meat cooked at 325F, even if you cook the meats correctly, for each heat range and method, there is a textural and flavor difference.

I am a big believer in trying all kinds of techniques and styles of cooking. I think the more you learn about cooking in different ranges and styles, the better overall cook you become. My UDS naturally seems to want to settle around 280F to 290F grate temperature, with one valve open. So that is where I run most cooks. But, I will fight the temperature down to 225F from time to time.

Just some thoughts

Unread 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Fwismoker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

There are exceptions to the rule but if i had to fight to keep certain temps i'd consider getting a different smoker. Like above certain types of meat i want cooked at different temps for a variety of reasons. I'm not just going to let my pit settle into what ever temp it wants and just go with it.
Jaime- Jumbo mini or Jimmy
Black bullet -newly renovated Big Poppa Black powder coated UDS,
Jaime build- http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=173767
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote