עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:04 PM   #31
SoCalWJS
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrobeerman View Post
Can I get some time hints. 1.25 min......flip.....1.25 min.....remove.....rest......eat
Is that it? Medium rare with a nice cust?

Looks great.......will try
I flipped about every 1:30 till I got an internal of 120 in the thickest part of the steak - I believe it was 2 on one side and 3 on the other - BUT - 2 inch thick bone in steak

Not your average Ribeye. Relied COMPLETELY on the thermapen.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
I flipped about every 1:30 till I got an internal of 120 in the thickest part of the steak - I believe it was 2 on one side and 3 on the other - BUT - 2 inch thick bone in steak

Not your average Ribeye. Relied COMPLETELY on the thermapen.
Bone in Ribeye - best steak cut EVER! Take your TBone, your Filet, your NY Strip and donate them. OK, TBone and Porterhouse are pretty good.
Especially Caveman. Did it once and it was fantastic.
But - I have 2 questions for the experts here (and they are experts)
1) Lid on help?
2) Bury a lump of wood under the coals (eg cherry or oak) when you dump the chimney?
?
Hedgeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
GC8
On the road to being a farker

Sounds like people are taking the most simple method of cooking a steak and making it way too complicated!

Get (lump) coals HOT, put steak on, take steak off, eat.
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
Sounds like people are taking the most simple method of cooking a steak and making it way too complicated!

Get (lump) coals HOT, put steak on, take steak off, eat.
LOL

good point.

But - trying to perfect the method. If we didn't we'd still be Neanderthal. these are mere details... I bet we could kick the asses of the Gourmets Flavour always flavour

Unread 07-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #35
Damn True
Full Fledged Farker

If you or your significant other are worried about too much ash you can break out her hair dryer or a heat gun and blow off any loose ash just before dropping the flesh onto the coals.

Reiterating the above, no EVOO.
Damn True is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2013, 04:39 AM   #36
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgeley View Post
Bone in Ribeye - best steak cut EVER! Take your TBone, your Filet, your NY Strip and donate them. OK, TBone and Porterhouse are pretty good.
Especially Caveman. Did it once and it was fantastic.
But - I have 2 questions for the experts here (and they are experts)
1) Lid on help?
2) Bury a lump of wood under the coals (eg cherry or oak) when you dump the chimney?
?

Look, the farkin name may be a clue as to what this is.
Caveman.

No lump of wood, smoking or tricky chit.

All steaks are sensational.

No freakin lid, this is intense grilling on the coals.

And brother, get you some books. We were never Neanderthals, they are a different sub species.
They were the ones who wouldn't cooperate and help each other, but rather club anyone who annoyed them.
Like you guys are making us want to do to you now!!

This is why BBQ has become taking great meat and using it as a delivery system for industrial vat chemicals and goopy sugars.
Just cook!
Stop trying to re invent the wheel, all us guys on bicycles and vehicles are embarrassed at your antics

Rant over.

Now I feel like a bowl of cereal, sheesh.

Secret Ninja

豚....の角煮
buccaneer is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #37
Hedgeley
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool Good Rant !!

ok, properly rebuked.

I just wanted to ask, cause I thought perhaps it might help enhance the flavour.

Am I at least allowed to use a knife and fork, or do I have to eat it with my hands?

Unread 07-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #38
GC8
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
I agree! Anyone out there with Tbone, filets, & NY Strips...just go ahead and donate them to me
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #39
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
ok, properly rebuked.

I just wanted to ask, cause I thought perhaps it might help enhance the flavour.

Am I at least allowed to use a knife and fork, or do I have to eat it with my hands?

Read it with humor, I am unfairly taking advantage of the whackadoodlery about this thread, you just were the last one in!

You have to whittle your own knife and fork.
CD might do a thread on it if there are enough sheltered petals that need guidance there...

Secret Ninja

豚....の角煮
buccaneer is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #40
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Nothing like burning flesh! Primal Urge! Yum

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!

Join us in Europe for this Summers' European Bash here http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...80&postcount=1
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #41
W00dButcher
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
Google polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
When when the fat drips onto the coals and there is a flare, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) are formed.
The smoke carries these hydrocarbons and coat the food we eat.There is a proven correlation between PAH's and digestive tract cancers.

heterocyclic amines (HCA) are formed from charring, and the oil (fats) increase the level of charring during contact with the intense heat, so a secondary danger there.

I'm not preaching, life is fraught with risk and I respect you to assess for yourself but am only presenting what makes sense to me.
Better to be informed though, sure helps with the choices.
So this would include grilling altogether ...
Anything worth cooking has fat in it. When it's put to the fire a flare up is inevitable. Not really sure what you are saying. The whole point of grilling something is to create char and the caveman style would be the greatest of them all. Looks like it's back to the kitchen and my fry pans ...
W00dButcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2013, 07:08 AM   #42
W00dButcher
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalWJS View Post
Yeah, done.

Good flavor, all over the place on doneness. Some was close to perfect, some RARE, some close to well. Wifey likes the crust. Took a bunch of pics, something must have turned out OK - wish it was simple to post here......

Maybe transfer it from the coals to a BGE @ 350 after a few minutes?.......
Bluesman is right. I suspect the bed of coals were uneven. Also, if you are flipping the steak every 1:30 that's too much. You only need to flip them once. and the more you flip the more you disturb that bed of coals. KISS. Remember, the thicker the steak the longer it needs to cook, Cave man style is not for the med- well crowd. I think you said yours was 2" ? That's pretty thick for right-on-the-coals. You may want to par cook them a little, like to 100F and then sear them on the coals.
W00dButcher is offline   Reply With Quote