The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #16
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
i'd suggest making little marks that show you where the sweeper handle is when the bottom vent is wide open and closed. it helps me to know how exactly how open my vents are without having to see the sweeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
If you put the sweeper system in correctly. All the way one way is wide open, all the way the opposite direction is completely closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankB View Post
Mine must be in wrong then. They go from fully closed to full open in about 1/3 or 1/4 of the sweep. The rest of the sweep just moves ashes toward the next open spot.

I have marked the positions fully closed, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and fully open on the collar that holds the ash bucket on my gold grills.
my brand new OTG i recently bought goes from fully closed(all the way left) to about 60% open(all the way right). the bowl comes already assembled this way. i have mine marked at just barely closed and just where it is fully opened. it makes it really easy to glance down and make my vents open 50%, 25%, or whatever i need.

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #17
Higgledy
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ_Tenn View Post
I'm of the belief that leaving the top vents open always give the smoke somewhere to go. Otherwise the smoke would be trapped in the kettle with the food and could give it a bad flavor (creosote)?

Don't you find that after a while the crack gets choked by ash? That sucks IMO. I wish they'd add a vent on the side like in the WSM
Higgledy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #18
aawa
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscw81 View Post
my brand new OTG i recently bought goes from fully closed(all the way left) to about 60% open(all the way right). the bowl comes already assembled this way. i have mine marked at just barely closed and just where it is fully opened. it makes it really easy to glance down and make my vents open 50%, 25%, or whatever i need.
Take the sweeper arm off the one touch system. Then spin the one touch system around and you will notice get to a point, you can go all the way open one way and all the way closed the other way. I have 2 OTG and a Performer that I did this with. When i got them, they were assembled and I adjusted it and it lines up perfectly from the left and right.