The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Hot Wachulas
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I got a ford box truck/van. 8'wx15'lx7'h. Cheaper than I could have got a used cargo trailer for. Has a walkthru cab 3' attic above the cap and added a 7' ramp on the back to set the cookers. The only downside is once your set up at a contest your stuck, unless you loaded up a cycle to get around town.
Hot Wachulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Here's a link for fold down tables for trailers.

http://www.pitproducts.com/fodowota.html

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
didisea
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

I have an Interstate 6x12 that I cook out of. But I am generally a one person team. Two people can work in it. It depends on how much gear and shelves, cambro's etc. that you stack in it. I set up the dishwashing station outside, the coolers outside under a 10x10 canopy. I guess whether you get the 6x12 or 7x14 depends on the space size that you generally work with at the competition. Mostly we have 20x20 spaces as the norm, so the 6x12 with 10x10 canopy next to it fits in nicely. Axles would depend on how much gear and how heavy the smokers are that you carry. Also 7x14 you would probably need extra mirrors on the truck. Your truck engine capacity, and hence fuel usage also comes into consideration.
I use a 24x48" stainless steel table with wheels to prep and box on. Most things in the trailer roll, so that you can move things around easily if you need to. I used some outdoor carpet from Costco to carpet the trailer with. $20 per roll and I just replace it once a year.
didisea is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-08-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

We decided to go used so we could afford a bigger trailer. Ended up with a 8.5x18 and have to say it was the best decision we ever made. The more team members you have the bigger you need to go. We built bunks in the front and prep area in the back. We just got it little over a month ago, so were trying to get a new smoker we can roll out instead pull with another truck.
Good luck and you won't regret anything. Any size is better than what you got!

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
mgp03051
On the road to being a farker

We bought a 7x12 7"tall Thule .. We have it setup with folding bunks, overhead cabiinets, and use 2' x 4' folding tables to prep on plenty of roon for 2 with the bunks down and tables setup we still have about 16" of space between them... Here is a link to the tread..http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=157907 ...We will be in Lexington and Monanock stop by check it out!!!
https://www.facebook.com/CanUSmellMyPitsBBQ?ref=hl
mgp03051 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #21
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I'll chime in with a couple ideas:

First, I agree that double axle is a must. Not only for the safety factor, but also much more stable to work in - no "seesaw effect" as you move from front to back.

Secondly, I'll go against the grain and say that bigger is NOT always better. Don't forget that there is a price to pay for those big shiny rigs beyond the purchase cost. Will you be paying an extra fee for oversize space at comps? Once you trick it out with all those electric features you've always wanted, will there be another fee for upraded power at comps? How much more fuel will it take to get there, and will that limit the events you can attend when fuel tops $5 a gallon? Finally, do you have a tow vehicle capable of safely pulling the loaded rig?

If you have unlimited money and tow capacity, definitely go for it. On the other hand if you are like many of us with limited resources, consider all the factors before you buy.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #22
E Mellow

Cole,

Our first trailer was a 6x12, from early on we couldn't wait to upgrade to something larger. I think the 7x14 Dual Axel is a GREAT comp trailer for a team of your size.

6x12 = 72sqft
7x14 = 98sqtf (Thats 36% larger)

I know you don't like to use tents at a contest, but if you think about it the 7x14 gives you basically the same covered area as an EZ-UP.

Here are a couple of other thoughts:

- If you are going to be prepping and working from inside of the trailer a Dual Axel is a must!

- Get the roof framed out for an AC even if you don't order one initially. That way if you want one down the road the trailer is set up and ready to go for it.

- The only regret I have from our current trailer in the side windows. I keep thinking it would be a good idea to have a vending window on the same side of the trailer as the side door. It would give you another way to "pass" things into the trailer without bumping into each other.

Our current trailer is 8x24 and has: 3 bay sinks, hand sink, refrigeration, heath department approved vending window, cooker mounted and vented. Let me know if you want to stop by sometime and see the inner workings.
E Mellow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Freedom trailer makes a cheap porch trailer. You can contact Scott Smith from Que'n Stew'n & Brew'n. Follow this for contact info http://www.southernqsmokers.com/contact.html

You want quality go with Extreme Trailer.

Here is my Freedom trailer setup in Evansville, IN last month. The drums ride on the porch so setup and tear down is done within minutes.

Last edited by Rich Parker; 05-09-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

We use a 6x10 Interstate single axle with rear ramp...all of our gear is lightweight and can be unloaded in minutes. We do all our prep under a 10x15 canopy for the most part but can move inside if the weather is too nasty.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Mellow View Post
Cole,

Our first trailer was a 6x12, from early on we couldn't wait to upgrade to something larger. I think the 7x14 Dual Axel is a GREAT comp trailer for a team of your size.

6x12 = 72sqft
7x14 = 98sqtf (Thats 36% larger)

I know you don't like to use tents at a contest, but if you think about it the 7x14 gives you basically the same covered area as an EZ-UP.

Here are a couple of other thoughts:

- If you are going to be prepping and working from inside of the trailer a Dual Axel is a must!

- Get the roof framed out for an AC even if you don't order one initially. That way if you want one down the road the trailer is set up and ready to go for it.

- The only regret I have from our current trailer in the side windows. I keep thinking it would be a good idea to have a vending window on the same side of the trailer as the side door. It would give you another way to "pass" things into the trailer without bumping into each other.

Our current trailer is 8x24 and has: 3 bay sinks, hand sink, refrigeration, heath department approved vending window, cooker mounted and vented. Let me know if you want to stop by sometime and see the inner workings.
Why didn't you have this at the Royal last year?

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #26
sweetheatbbq

Thanks everyone I made the decision and went with the 7x14. Now time to start the customizing!