ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #16
Patrickkva
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Congrats to all who walked! Very well run event for the amount of teams involved. That weather got pretty crazy there for a bit.
Blazing Blue Thermapen
BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2
MABA Member
Patrickkva is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #17
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
Congrats to all it was a wet windy one, but a blast as well. Hope they get the entire comp water to the sites in the future...
I have to admit we weren't very happy when we had no water hook up, no light towers in our area and no porta-lets within 200 yards of us. Hauling water isn't a big deal as long as we know in advance.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
I have to admit we weren't very happy when we had no water hook up, no light towers in our area and no porta-lets within 200 yards of us. Hauling water isn't a big deal as long as we know in advance.
We are better of than a lot of folks, but if i paid the same as 1/2 the teams that had running water to the site, I want the same. I didn't even bring buckets never even a thought in my head that 1/2 would have running water and 1/2 would have to carry.

I am glad the turn in was in the middle though, that could have been a long walk.

I am just saying it is 1 thing that needs fixed. but i have to say we did enjoy the event.
Stumps Platinum 5 on a porch trailer
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #19
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
We are better of than a lot of folks, but if i paid the same as 1/2 the teams that had running water to the site, I want the same. I didn't even bring buckets never even a thought in my head that 1/2 would have running water and 1/2 would have to carry.

I am glad the turn in was in the middle though, that could have been a long walk.

I am just saying it is 1 thing that needs fixed. but i have to say we did enjoy the event.
One thing that made it a little worse was when I got there there were sites with running water open but because they made the isles so narrow we couldn't get into any of them. I don't know where you guys were (I didn't do a lot of walking around Friday evening for obvious reasons) but those of us on the back 9 by the ball field all felt a little claustrophobic.

We weren't the only team that felt that the concert was the star of this year's PITP and the staff felt that the BBQ'rs were an inconvenience.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

We were just 1 row in front of you up towards the walking path, I know I was late getting there, but i would have had a hard time getting into the spot they gave me if the other team was straight across,was there. im not good at backing a trailer anyway, but i used every bit of the open spot to get into mine. and yes, it felt tight.

This was our first year there so i have nothing to compare it to.
Stumps Platinum 5 on a porch trailer
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Uuni pellet fired pizza oven
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #21
Disconnect

This was our second PitP and the weather combined with equipment problems to tank our meats. The cyberq wifi went insane and helped us drop from 17th to 98th in brisket.. (ouch.. I wasn't expecting another 17th but .. ouch.)

I agree about the water. They did that to us last time - we were set up basically where Aporkalypse was. Many of the teams got hoses, but everyone back with us had to haul buckets. If you are going to do that, either do it across the board or don't.. I didn't notice any difference between the hookup-permitted tanks and the one we were on.

The weather cooperated just long enough to lull us into a false sense of security. Both ends of the big tent were open and dry until about 3am, when it promptly switched 90 degrees and began blowing 10+ feet in.. (Of course it switched to soak the gear instead of the cooks.)

Congrats to all who walked! :) It was a fun contest, problems aside.

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

This being our first BIG comp, I think we packed more crap in preparation for this then we would if we were expecting the world to end!!! It took me longer to find things than it did to use them once I found them.

But, I did try to forecast the weather on my own knowing that once the cold front came in, the wind would change. So, we were fortunate enough to park our trucks and U-Haul in the best positions. And, it worked.

One of the things that did get my goat was, the 4-way water hose connector for our 4 sites. They used 1 of the 4 outlets to feed other sites. So, that left only 3 outlets for 4 sites. I am still not sure how 4:20 got water as they were directly behind us and part of the 4 sites; only 3 sites had water connections. (Note: Pack a couple of Y-connectors in with the rest of my crap.)

Mike, I did notice that your area was packed like sardines! That was not good.

Also, as I have learned from camping, BYOTP! The toilet paper in most of the outhouses around us either ran out, or it was so moist that you couldn't unroll it.

Maybe it is just me, but what the heck was up with the eggs?!?! I have never seen eggs like that! I will most definitely plan on cooking our own breakfast going forward; just my preference. It was decent that they had the items they did, but, to each their own.

One of my problems with cooking was I lost almost 2 hours of cook time when I put the butt and brisket in; the temp on the Fat Boy dropped to around 202 and stayed there until about 2:00. I did everything I cold to get the temps up, but some advice later on Saturday helped me to understand why. Again, I learned!

All things considered, we had a good time and met some good folks. Just wish the cold rain had stopped earlier.

One thing that a lot of folks did stop by to talk about was the UDS. A lot of people had never seen one and that was including the other competitors. Did not know it was that "weird". It served its purpose, and we'll use it again.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #23
Disconnect

As far as I can tell those weren't eggs. They seemed like some sort of plastic stuffing..

Even having only 3 hookups, you were better off than the teams on the far side of the johns.

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #24
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Behind the stage the water was fine, but the power struggled to get over 101 volts. I was using the stock 15amp line, but some of the teams around us paid extra to get 30 amps, and they also had unusable power. Too many teams on that generator, I think. The electrician was unable to correct the problem.

At least they took out that corner post at the entrance that made for a tight turn. I heard some team hit it in 2012. No idea who.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #25
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I have to agree about the water situation. I have been going to PITP for 5 years and this is the first time we didn't have running water. We got a new water heater this winter and couldn't use it. We also did 't take our turkey fryer to heat water because of the new heater. Thank you Broke Bob BBQ for lending us your turkey fryer. It would have been nice to know before hand that 1/2 the teams that paid the same amount wouldn't have the same water hook ups. Oh we'll we did have fun anyway. 'till awards ceremony��

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #26
VA BBQ PIRATES

To bad there isn’t another competition about the same distance for us with a seasoned organizer and better facilities in April next year.
VA BBQ PIRATES is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #27
watg?
is One Chatty Farker

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
This being our first BIG comp, I think we packed more crap in preparation for this then we would if we were expecting the world to end!!! It took me longer to find things than it did to use them once I found them.

But, I did try to forecast the weather on my own knowing that once the cold front came in, the wind would change. So, we were fortunate enough to park our trucks and U-Haul in the best positions. And, it worked.

One of the things that did get my goat was, the 4-way water hose connector for our 4 sites. They used 1 of the 4 outlets to feed other sites. So, that left only 3 outlets for 4 sites. I am still not sure how 4:20 got water as they were directly behind us and part of the 4 sites; only 3 sites had water connections. (Note: Pack a couple of Y-connectors in with the rest of my crap.)

Mike, I did notice that your area was packed like sardines! That was not good.

Also, as I have learned from camping, BYOTP! The toilet paper in most of the outhouses around us either ran out, or it was so moist that you couldn't unroll it.

Maybe it is just me, but what the heck was up with the eggs?!?! I have never seen eggs like that! I will most definitely plan on cooking our own breakfast going forward; just my preference. It was decent that they had the items they did, but, to each their own.

One of my problems with cooking was I lost almost 2 hours of cook time when I put the butt and brisket in; the temp on the Fat Boy dropped to around 202 and stayed there until about 2:00. I did everything I cold to get the temps up, but some advice later on Saturday helped me to understand why. Again, I learned!

All things considered, we had a good time and met some good folks. Just wish the cold rain had stopped earlier.

One thing that a lot of folks did stop by to talk about was the UDS. A lot of people had never seen one and that was including the other competitors. Did not know it was that "weird". It served its purpose, and we'll use it again.

wallace
ahhhhh....they were eggs huh? :)

Startin the Fire-(a book) Everything you need to know about starting a competition BBQ team. (except the recipes) www.startinthefire.com

"Let me have a diablo sandwich and a Dr. Pepper, make it fast, I'm in a ---damn hurry". Sheriff Buford T.Justice
watg? is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #28
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by watg? View Post
ahhhhh....they were eggs huh? :)
Well, I just wanna see the chickens that those eggs came from!

And, I am not sure why the there were Swiss cheese type holes in the cake/blob, or whatever it was.

Oh well, I am sure it could've been worse.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #29
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Way to go Jay on the GC and the BACK TO BACK GC ('12-'13) in a 105+ teams contest. That's pretty big!
Also to Bob on the huge RGC, congrats bud!
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #30
5-0 BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
One thing that made it a little worse was when I got there there were sites with running water open but because they made the isles so narrow we couldn't get into any of them. I don't know where you guys were (I didn't do a lot of walking around Friday evening for obvious reasons) but those of us on the back 9 by the ball field all felt a little claustrophobic.

We weren't the only team that felt that the concert was the star of this year's PITP and the staff felt that the BBQ'rs were an inconvenience.
We got there Thursday night and there was nobody from the event there. Just the security guy. He was nice but had no clue. He showed me the spots that he said were the only 25x25 sites. When I woke up in the morning I found out there was no water in my section and there were pleanty of spots on Thursday night that were empty.

I may be going to DE next year.
The BBQ Equipment Store
www.bbqequipmentstore.com
Proud 2014 Sponsor of Degüello BBQ, Christmas City BBQ, Astro Pigs and Drilling and Grilling
No Thermapen Here, I have a Water & Shock Resistant Backlit Maverick PT-100BBQ
500 Gal Stickburner - Backwoods Gator, Red Kamado Joe, Primo Oval XL, Maverick Competition Smoker CS-55 and Many Others
5-0 BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote